Possible book contract?

Hello 

So a few months ago, I met a book editor at a talk event that I was giving out of my hometown. We chatted during the break for a few minutes. I talked to her about my master’s thesis and my research topic and explained that I would be interested in publishing a book one day (it’s something that’s on my bucket list since I was very young). She then appeared very interested, explaining that the publishing house that she founded has never published anything on my research topic, and that it would definitely align with their editorial slant and be an interesting addition to their already existing collection.

They don’t publish academic books per say, but rather, books that addresses youth social issues. Their books are of course, always backed up by research and data, but it’s mostly books that have hands-on strategies to help youth with anxiety, depression, etc, and their books tend to be written by psychologists, social workers, counselors, etc. (I'm a social worker). Their books also tend to be quite short as well in comparison to academic books. She invited me to take a look at their website, see what they’ve published in the past, and submit an idea of what I have in mind after reading the guidelines for book proposals.

So I sent her a table of contents of what I believe should be in the book as well as my bio. We then talked on the phone for an hour because she says that it is still quite academic, but gave me suggestions to improve my idea in order for it to better align with their editorial guidelines. She suggested that I also work with a more experienced researcher on my topic (as a co-author) but said that it can also be entirely written by me and then re-read by a more senior researcher (I am okay with both ideas, I think it’d give more weight to the final product anyways because I am indeed a young social worker). She invited me to call her again if I have any questions or need more insight/ideas. She appeared very interested to working with me in the future, but no book contract was signed at this point, so nothing is official. However, I do believe that if she did not see any potential in me or in my idea, she would not have spent that much time on me.

So I emailed my current advisor, explained to her my idea. But she never replied back to me on that idea, so I am assuming, knowing her, that she is too busy and doesn’t want to tell me that she is too busy. In my email, I also asked her if I could be put in contact with other researchers that I know by name, but that are still strangers to me. I doubt that these researchers would want to work with me if they don’t know me personally. She also never replied back to that part of my email. I don’t want to put extra pressure on her, so I don’t think I can count on her for any form of guidance or support for this project.

I am now kinda lost. The editor wanted me to write something “hands-on” for counsellors to have concrete tools to intervene with youth. I do have work experience in my research topic as a social worker/counsellor. But I don’t know how to distinguish myself of what already exists on the book market. I also don’t know what I could bring that’s different from what these counselors and social workers would already know without being too academic in my writing. I did not have in mind to do a “hands-on” book at first. The editor said that after doing a bit of research, a “hands-on” book on my topic doesn’t currently exists where I live (or there’s very few of those), but I have to admit that I don’t know how to write this book. I am thinking of letting go of that opportunity. I don’t know what I should do at this point.

I have a few thoughts. First, I think it's an awesome bucket list goal, and publishing a book is on mine as well. 

I wonder how motivated other academics will be to put time into a less academic project such as this. I think the book idea is great, and not all academics only write academic books, but it might be a reason you didn't get an eager response from your advisor (though she could certainly just be busy). 

My second thought is that you may want to consider what you can contribute at this time. If you have a coauthor who can add more hands on perspective for experienced readers, then great. But if you can't accomplish this, do you want to look back on your first or only book and realize it wasn't as impactful as you wish it had been? If you can't get a coauthor and don't believe you can make a meaningful contribution right now, it may be worth holding on to and revisiting as a future project. 

On 3/6/2019 at 4:25 PM, Meraki said:

I have a few thoughts. First, I think it's an awesome bucket list goal, and publishing a book is on mine as well. 

I wonder how motivated other academics will be to put time into a less academic project such as this. I think the book idea is great, and not all academics only write academic books, but it might be a reason you didn't get an eager response from your advisor (though she could certainly just be busy). 

My second thought is that you may want to consider what you can contribute at this time. If you have a coauthor who can add more hands on perspective for experienced readers, then great. But if you can't accomplish this, do you want to look back on your first or only book and realize it wasn't as impactful as you wish it had been? If you can't get a coauthor and don't believe you can make a meaningful contribution right now, it may be worth holding on to and revisiting as a future project. 

This is a very good point. Since it's not an academic publication ,it's true that she may not be interested in investing in this.