Moving to Boston?

So I was accepted to Boston University this past week and I am just thrilled!!! Is there anyone else considering moving to Boston!? I know they mentioned that the grad students create a Facebook group for of the accepted students but I think that’s after they know for sure who accepted the offer? 

5 hours ago, ling19 said:

So I was accepted to Boston University this past week and I am just thrilled!!! Is there anyone else considering moving to Boston!? I know they mentioned that the grad students create a Facebook group for of the accepted students but I think that’s after they know for sure who accepted the offer? 

Ive lived in Boston all my life and know the city very well! If you have any questions let me know! :)

On 3/6/2019 at 7:16 PM, kate9696 said:

Ive lived in Boston all my life and know the city very well! If you have any questions let me know! :)

Hi! Are you familiar with the areas that students from BU predominantly live in or maybe the cheaper areas? Lol 

1 hour ago, ling19 said:

Hi! Are you familiar with the areas that students from BU predominantly live in or maybe the cheaper areas? Lol 

Hey there - yup I went to BU for my undergrad. Most students will live in Allston or Brookline. Brookline is a bit pricier than Allston, but it depends on where you are. Allston has a big bar scene and great restaurants. Both are super close to campus too (Allston is more of a walk from Sargent, but the green line and buses can easily take you there). If you don’t mind the commute, Somerville is great too, but you won’t be close to BU. A lot of college students are there, though!

1 hour ago, ling19 said:

I know many students lives in and around Boston. Popular places are Brighton, Somerville, Alston, Cambridge and Boston among others. I am from 15 minutes north of Boston. If you are looking for a cheaper place, look at Chelsea,  saugus, and  other places. They are not as convient as the others I said but they are cheaper! If you have a specific place in mind let me know! :)

1 hour ago, BioCook said:

Hey there - yup I went to BU for my undergrad. Most students will live in Allston or Brookline. Brookline is a bit pricier than Allston, but it depends on where you are. Allston has a big bar scene and great restaurants. Both are super close to campus too (Allston is more of a walk from Sargent, but the green line and buses can easily take you there). If you don’t mind the commute, Somerville is great too, but you won’t be close to BU. A lot of college students are there, though!

This is great thank you! Are you originally from Boston? Or you just went there for school 

6 minutes ago, ling19 said:

This is great thank you! Are you originally from Boston? Or you just went there for school 

I went there for school and stayed in the area to do full time work!

Edited by BioCook
Remove info

1 hour ago, BioCook said:

Hey! I'm thinking of going to MGH. Are these places close by to MGH or far? I'm not familiar at all with Boston and I'm slightly confused about how to go about housing. 

19 minutes ago, slpfall2019 said:

Hey! I'm thinking of going to MGH. Are these places close by to MGH or far? I'm not familiar at all with Boston and I'm slightly confused about how to go about housing. 

Hi there! MGH is in Charlestown and there are some nice apartments over there. I don't go over to that area often since it's not "close" to the T but I believe there are shuttle systems from North Station. Are you thinking about bringing a car?

14 minutes ago, BioCook said:

Hi there! MGH is in Charlestown and there are some nice apartments over there. I don't go over to that area often since it's not "close" to the T but I believe there are shuttle systems from North Station. Are you thinking about bringing a car?

I haven't decided about a car yet. Would you recommend bringing one? When I spoke to the woman on the phone, she said that students typically use the train. Would that be enough?

1 hour ago, slpfall2019 said:

I haven't decided about a car yet. Would you recommend bringing one? When I spoke to the woman on the phone, she said that students typically use the train. Would that be enough?

The T, bus, and commuter rail will definitely be enough! I also bike and that cuts down on travel (and costs) tremendously. You may want to consider a car depending out your externships, but you definitely don’t NEED to get one now. Parking in Boston is expensive and sometimes hard to find. I do street parking and it’s a nightmare sometimes especially in the winter lol

23 hours ago, slpfall2019 said:

If you want a roommate, I would suggest posting on your class facebook page. Also, IHP has a housing forum that you will have access to! There are apartments in Charlestown but they can be expensive. I would say the majority of current IHP students  live in Charlestown, the North End, or Cambridge. But some live in Jamaica Plain, Allston, and other cheaper neighborhoods outside of the city. North station is on the commuter rail, so there are students living near Porter Square (in Cambridge, but farther north), and even Waltham. There is a shuttle that runs from North Station to campus, usually runs every 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, campus is a 15 minute walk from North Station. 

22 hours ago, slpfall2019 said:

You definitely don't need a car for your first year. I would highly suggest using the T to get around. If you have a car, and you can get cheap parking at your house, there is a garage on IHP campus that is $7 per day and free if you enter after 4:30 pm for students. That is cheap, especially when you consider that the T costs about $5 round trip. Parking in neighborhoods will vary- North End is impossible, other neighborhoods (e.g., Cambridge) have permit parking so it is easy but you have to register your car in MA which can be expensive! At IHP, they do recommend having a car for the 2nd year. They cannot guarantee an externship that is accessible on the T, no matter what your circumstances are. You never know if you will need a car, but some did get a car by their summer semester. 

Let me know if you have any questions about IHP or Boston!