Waitlist Department Visits

TCH867

Hi all,

Would visiting a department on its visit-days increase my chances for getting off of its waitlist? 

If so, would it be inappropriate to ask when its visit-days are, if I was not notified of the date in the waitlist email?

Thank you for your help!

12 minutes ago, VentralStream said:

I thought about this, but I personally think, unless invited, it seems presumptuous; especially if the waitlist is long and unranked. But that's just my opinion.  

That's a great point. However, what if we're talking about programs in the PGR top 10? I'm really unsure about what to do at this point...

At some of the visits that I went to last year, the department had invited a couple of people from the waitlist to join as well. On some occasions these people received offers not long into the visit. The department I'm currently at is doing the same thing this year, in terms of inviting a small amount of top waitlisted applicants. PGR top 10 departments will likely have the budget to invite the amount of waitlisted applicants that they want. I can't imagine it would do any harm to ask if you'd be welcome to visit at some stage (though asking to come on their specified visit days might seem a bit presumptuous) but I don't imagine that it would do all that much to impact the outcome either -- I wouldn't inconvenience myself significantly to go visit, for instance.

I doubt it. If they've offered to let you visit too, and are paying for your visit, then you should definitely do that. But don't do it in the expectation that it'll help your chances, because it probably won't.