Time length to make decisions?

gradschoolprobs

Just now, gradschoolprobs said:

Hi everyone, I've been on a waitlist for about 2 weeks now. When can I expect to hear the next update? How many days/weeks are accepted people given to decide on an offer? I recall that for my Masters I was given 10 days to decide. How is it for PhD programs? Thank you!

Most programs (nationally) provide the option to decide until April 15th.  Some programs differ, but for the most part this is what universities have agreed upon.   You will likely have all the way until, if not slightly past, that time to hear back.

1 minute ago, Ternwild said:

Most programs (nationally) provide the option to decide until April 15th.  Some programs differ, but for the most part this is what universities have agreed upon.   You will likely have all the way until, if not slightly past, that time to hear back.

Thank you! Does this also apply for non-American programs?

Just now, gradschoolprobs said:

Thank you! Does this also apply for non-American programs?

That is simply the timeline agreed upon on US universities.  That said, you are absolutely in your right to email/call the department you're waitlisted on and find out when their deadline is, plus you're able to ask when you're likely to hear back. 

3 minutes ago, Ternwild said:

That is simply the timeline agreed upon on US universities.  That said, you are absolutely in your right to email/call the department you're waitlisted on and find out when their deadline is, plus you're able to ask when you're likely to hear back. 

Thank you! I'll give this a try next week or so.

1 hour ago, gradschoolprobs said:

Btw, is it a good sign if POI still responds to my email? I had asked about waitlist movement which POI said has not heard but fingers crossed? Thanks!

I'd argue that's a neutral sign.  It means the POI doesn't know and can't do much about it.