What's the best rationale for a joint degree: MPP/MBA or MPP/JD

econhawk

Do you really need both? I'm hoping to understand the reasoning behind joint degrees, specifically the MPP/MBA and the MPP/JD.

1) In what professional capacity would you use both the MPP and the JD? Usually, salary expectations after a law degree are enough to push recent grads into the legal field. True, many come out looking for public sector jobs after law school debt is paid off, but I'm inclined to think the JD alone is sufficient. Assuming the MPP is not free, I don't understand the rationale for this joint degree.

2) MPPs with finance/economic policy tracks- why not stick with it or get the MBA by itself? What added benefit do you get by getting both?

Theoretically, the degrees complement each other well. But in terms of getting to where you want professionally, is it worth the extra cost and time?

Honestly, I don't think it's worth the time/money. I never understood the rationale behind dual advanced degrees, either. Maybe the people who do it are trying to please their parents or a part of themselves that fears that an MPP alone won't be lucrative, even though they're really attached to the idea of getting one? Not sure...

Do you really need both? I'm hoping to understand the reasoning behind joint degrees, specifically the MPP/MBA and the MPP/JD.

1) In what professional capacity would you use both the MPP and the JD? Usually, salary expectations after a law degree are enough to push recent grads into the legal field. True, many come out looking for public sector jobs after law school debt is paid off, but I'm inclined to think the JD alone is sufficient. Assuming the MPP is not free, I don't understand the rationale for this joint degree.

2) MPPs with finance/economic policy tracks- why not stick with it or get the MBA by itself? What added benefit do you get by getting both?

Theoretically, the degrees complement each other well. But in terms of getting to where you want professionally, is it worth the extra cost and time?

I don't really get the rationale behind the MPP/JD. We've got two in my program - both are NC residents paying REALLY cheap in-state tuition at UNC Law for the JD portion of their degrees - and they both have said it's because it's not too much extra money beyond a law degree and it will allow them to specialize in the type of law they want even with limited experience (both are enviro people). Me, personally, I feel like the MPP is often for the kinds of jobs that people used to get law degrees for, so I don't see the need.

MPP/MBA, now this I do feel is a good setup. Borrowed from another post of mine:

I'm sensing that the MBA isn't what it used to be given our current economy and the recent flood of MBA grads. 5 years ago yeah, the MBA was the more versatile degree. But I don't think so anymore. While I'm seeing an employer demand for MBA skills I'm still glad I'm at an MPP program for what I want to do. I do think there's incredible value in coupling these degrees if you think you'll likely work in the private sector though (like me). That gives the you MBA and all its benefits while also specializing in a specific field and demonstrating your seriousness in that area. The MBA will give you a business-skills advantage over the IRs and MPPs while the MPP degree will be the edge over all the other generic MBAs by showing you're seriously committed to your specific field.

Just my thoughts. I am currently applying to an MPP/MBA dual degree program under this reasoning. They may a lot more money than straight-up MPPs too :)

Just my thoughts. I am currently applying to an MPP/MBA dual degree program under this reasoning. They may a lot more money than straight-up MPPs too :)

stilesg57, good luck! Are you looking at Fuqua for next year's application season? Or did you throw in an R3 app this year? (Or other business schools, down the line, perhaps?)

And to add to the original discussion, the MPP/MBA, for me, as an early career applicant with a non-quantitative background and as a private to public/non-profit career switcher, allows me to hedge my career goals (public or non-profit management/consulting) against future career uncertainty. The MPP, while doing wonders for my professional development and analytical expertise, appears as if it could be worth pennies on the dollar in the private world, at least when compared to the MBA.

Edited by coakleym

stilesg57, good luck! Are you looking at Fuqua for next year's application season? Or did you throw in an R3 app this year? (Or other business schools, down the line, perhaps?)

Thanks! Yeah, I want Fuqua :) I applied for R3 and have an interview on the 9th. If I get in this year it will be a dual degree MPP/MBA in 3 years.

I only applied to Fuqua. I don't want an MBA per se, I want their MBA specifically, for several reasons that I can't go into with two papers due in about 6 hours. :)

If I get in I'll go, unquestionably. If not, I doubt I'll re-apply next year unless my internship this summer is life-changing and I think I can get enough financial aid so that the debt load makes sense. After all, there's a "how has your application improved?" essay required for re-applicants; I would want to have a good answer and I don't necessarily see one developing between now and December. I think this is the last time I'll go back to school so I'd like to get it all done now if possible, and the MBA would help me do what I want: Corporate Social Responsibility Officer / Climate Change Officer at a big organization. So that's my reasoning.

The MPP, while doing wonders for my professional development and analytical expertise, appears as if it could be worth pennies on the dollar in the private world, at least when compared to the MBA.

This is exactly what I'm seeing. We may learn more analytical stuff than the MBAs, but they have more options and make more money in the private sector (though I believe this situation may improve in time).

Yes, I can see the value of getting an MBA/MPP if you know you want to move to the private sector from public sector (or vice versa). I personally don't see that for myself, and if in the future I do decide to make a switch, I would go for one of those executive MBA programs that you can pursue while continuing to work. I'd rather do that than go into steep debt now for a degree that qualifies me for jobs I don't really want in the near future.

Thanks! Yeah, I want Fuqua :) I applied for R3 and have an interview on the 9th. If I get in this year it will be a dual degree MPP/MBA in 3 years.

I only applied to Fuqua. I don't want an MBA per se, I want their MBA specifically, for several reasons that I can't go into with two papers due in about 6 hours. :)

If I get in I'll go, unquestionably. If not, I doubt I'll re-apply next year unless my internship this summer is life-changing and I think I can get enough financial aid so that the debt load makes sense. After all, there's a "how has your application improved?" essay required for re-applicants; I would want to have a good answer and I don't necessarily see one developing between now and December. I think this is the last time I'll go back to school so I'd like to get it all done now if possible, and the MBA would help me do what I want: Corporate Social Responsibility Officer / Climate Change Officer at a big organization. So that's my reasoning.

This is exactly what I'm seeing. We may learn more analytical stuff than the MBAs, but they have more options and make more money in the private sector (though I believe this situation may improve in time).