Best Program for Int'l Migration Governance/International Affairs

HereIsHoping

Hey all. Oh man, I'm just experiencing the best kind of problem: too many acceptances. Unfortunately not a crazy amount of funding.

I'm interested in International Affairs, particularly refugee studies and governance of migration. My dream is to work at the UN. As an American, I have a steep hill to climb for this. Any ideas about any of the following programs, any insight that can be provided, would be very welcome.

But, I have been accepted to the following programs:

- Sciences Po: Master in Human Rights and Humanitarian Action (no funding yet)

- London School of Economics: MSc International Social and Public Policy (Migration emphasis) (no funding yet)

- Georgetown: Master of Science Foreign Service (no funding)

- New York University School of Professional Studies: MS Global Affairs (no funding)

- The New School School of Public Engagement: MA in International Affairs (Hefty funding package)

- University of Texas - Austin LBJ School: Master of Global Policy Studies (no funding)

- Texas A&M: Master of Arts in International Affairs (hefty funding package)

- University of Pittsburgh: Master of Public and International Affairs (no funding yet)

I'm still waiting on Oxford: MSc Refugee and Forced Migration Studies and George Washington Master of Arts in International Affairs.

I am legitimately excited about all of these programs, and all for different reasons. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

I can't speak to your field, but I would significantly weigh funding as a major deciding factor and how far that funding goes when looking at cost of living. If you can complete a program with less debt and less stress in terms of covering rent/living expenses, that will also allow you to focus more on your studies and internships, etc. That being said, I'm assuming being in DC or NYC probably provides more internship/networking opportunities than College Station, TX for international affairs. 

I'm in the same boat as you! I'm interested in the same career goals (working for the UN and/or working in migration / refugee/ asylum policy). I was recently accepted to Sciences Po for Human Rights and Humanitarian Action as well, and a similar program at Columbia. I'm also waiting to hear from Oxford for the Refugee and Forced Migration Studies. From my research, I've found that a lot of organizations like the UNHCR , the UNDP, Save the Children, Amnesty Intl, etc. hire from LSE, Sciences Po, Oxford, Columbia, and Georgetown (In no particular order though it seems like a huge amount are from LSE and Columbia). I've been advised that going to school in Europe is a great move because its cheaper, the education is still high quality, and the international experience and connections come in handy when trying to get a job for an international organization. I'm going with Sciences Po for this reason, and because they gave me an Emile Boutmy scholarship whereas Columbia gave me nothing (I will never be able to pay back those loans so i'm not even considering it). I've heard from my former professors that the Oxford program is amazing though and could lead to great connections and can set you up for competitive PhD programs if that is what you're interested in, so my fingers are crossed. Good luck deciding! Perhaps we will meet at Sciences Po or Oxford!

None of those schools are bad choices at all. I would say limit the schools to Sciences Po, LSE, Georgetown, and NYU. While Sciences Po and LSE are much cheaper, you have to consider that you would need to get a job plus foreign residency relatively fast after graduation to stay in country. It also depends strongly on networking, foreign language skills, and internships. Pitt would also be a good fifth choice, depending on the funding. I was accepted to Pitts program at GSPIA with considerable funding for Fall 2019 and I may go there over more highly ranked schools. Columbia's MA in international affairs, and The Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva are also good alternative options to consider, although Columbia's deadline is probably already gone. I would call/email the schools and see about internships/job placement at the UN and what past students' profiles looked like to land these jobs. You never know what you can accomplish through networking, hard work, and a little luck.

Best of luck with your choice!

10 hours ago, notskanbjr said:

I'm in the same boat as you! I'm interested in the same career goals (working for the UN and/or working in migration / refugee/ asylum policy). I was recently accepted to Sciences Po for Human Rights and Humanitarian Action as well, and a similar program at Columbia. I'm also waiting to hear from Oxford for the Refugee and Forced Migration Studies. From my research, I've found that a lot of organizations like the UNHCR , the UNDP, Save the Children, Amnesty Intl, etc. hire from LSE, Sciences Po, Oxford, Columbia, and Georgetown (In no particular order though it seems like a huge amount are from LSE and Columbia). I've been advised that going to school in Europe is a great move because its cheaper, the education is still high quality, and the international experience and connections come in handy when trying to get a job for an international organization. I'm going with Sciences Po for this reason, and because they gave me an Emile Boutmy scholarship whereas Columbia gave me nothing (I will never be able to pay back those loans so i'm not even considering it). I've heard from my former professors that the Oxford program is amazing though and could lead to great connections and can set you up for competitive PhD programs if that is what you're interested in, so my fingers are crossed. Good luck deciding! Perhaps we will meet at Sciences Po or Oxford!

Hi! I am also applying to Sciences Po for the Humanitarian Rights and Humanitarian Action Program and was wondering if you could tell me when you got notified of your acceptance, because I recently emailed them and they said that results won't be out before end of march... Thanks :)

On 3/14/2019 at 6:10 PM, notskanbjr said:

7 hours ago, notskanbjr said:

Hi! I applied to Sciences Po before the December 20th deadline, so was accepted in mid February and then I heard about funding a little less than a month later (just a few days before the accept / decline deadline).

Hey! I think I've pretty well narrowed it down to LSE and Sciences Po for generally the same reasons you've mentioned. Georgetown treated me the same way Columbia treated you, and there's no way I'm going to pay off those loans with the types of jobs I want to have. I am still certainly holding out for Oxford also, since I'm very interested in the academic route also.

And that's good news about the timing for the Boutmy Scholarship; I'm very hopeful--but since w our interests are so similar they may have already filled that niche when they consider it! 

Congrats on all your acceptances also! Look forward to (maybe) meeting.

17 hours ago, HBLB said:

None of those schools are bad choices at all. I would say limit the schools to Sciences Po, LSE, Georgetown, and NYU. While Sciences Po and LSE are much cheaper, you have to consider that you would need to get a job plus foreign residency relatively fast after graduation to stay in country. It also depends strongly on networking, foreign language skills, and internships. Pitt would also be a good fifth choice, depending on the funding. I was accepted to Pitts program at GSPIA with considerable funding for Fall 2019 and I may go there over more highly ranked schools. Columbia's MA in international affairs, and The Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva are also good alternative options to consider, although Columbia's deadline is probably already gone. I would call/email the schools and see about internships/job placement at the UN and what past students' profiles looked like to land these jobs. You never know what you can accomplish through networking, hard work, and a little luck.

Best of luck with your choice!

Good advice about staying in country after--I hadn't thought about that yet. I still think the international experience and connections make the risk well worth it, plus the cost.

Thanks for the tip about Geneva. That had not come up on my radar. I'll look into it.

I am very interested in Pitt, but I don't think they gave me any funding (another thread mentioned that all fellowships have been offered). The Human Security program there looks so cool!

Thank you both!