Conflicting Funding Deadlines

feralgrad

I've been accepted by 3 schools for an MFA in creative writing: George Mason, American, and Chatham.

Today I found out I was moved off the wait list for a fellowship at Chatham, but it only covers about half of tuition. They want me to accept or decline the offer by March 24th.

The other schools haven't offered me anything yet, and when I emailed GMU today they said funding decisions would be made by early April. GMU seems to offer pretty generous funding, so of course I'd like to see what they give me (I'm not holding my breath on American).

Should I ask Chatham for a deadline extension? What's the best way to do it?

I’d probably say that while you’re excited about their program and appreciate the fellowship offer, you won’t have all the funding offers at that time and it would be difficult to make a decision without that information. Something like that. Highlight excitement about the program but need to wait a short time for all the info from other places. 

11 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I’d probably say that while you’re excited about their program and appreciate the fellowship offer, you won’t have all the funding offers at that time and it would be difficult to make a decision without that information. Something like that. Highlight excitement about the program but need to wait a short time for all the info from other places. 

Thank you for the input! I'm planning to come out for an event on campus tomorrow, so maybe that will increase their sympathy (since I cared enough to drive up).

40 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

Thank you for the input! I'm planning to come out for an event on campus tomorrow, so maybe that will increase their sympathy (since I cared enough to drive up).

That'll probably help! Maybe mention it, like "I'm really excited about your program and enjoyed (thing) at (event)"

18 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

That'll probably help! Maybe mention it, like "I'm really excited about your program and enjoyed (thing) at (event)"

Good thinking! I'll definitely do that.

Edited by feralgrad