Decisions 2019

I am deciding between American (full funding) and Simon Fraser (tiny funding). 

My spouse and I have wanted to emigrate to Canada for years, but Simon Fraser does not fund well so it really falls on him to make enough money for us to live on, in one of the most expensive cities in North America (Vancouver BC).

I think American is a stronger fit, and the funding is great. I'm not sure I want to live in DC but its more affordable than Vancouver. So I'm basically struggling with the location and money part. And the fact that our long term goal is to live in Canada, so a Canadian PhD makes a lot more sense. And I love Vancouver.

I'm headed to DC next week for the American admitted students day, and I'm a little apprehensive. I want to fall in love with it and the DC area, but I'm also afraid I will fall in love with it and then not go to Canada. This is causing what feels like some kind of existential crisis and I'm so close to letting my friends decide via FB poll ?

I'm also waiting to hear from McGill, also in Canada, though I suspect I am waitlisted and I'm assuming not going to get in at this point. McGill would likely win because Montreal is super affordable and its an excellent school and the person I would be working with studies exactly what I want to study, although its a Sociology program so I suspect that's why I've been waitlisted. In any event...existential crisis. 

Which of your schools are you thinking of? What is the driving factor in your decision?

18 minutes ago, RipCityBaby said:

I am deciding between American (full funding) and Simon Fraser (tiny funding). 

My spouse and I have wanted to emigrate to Canada for years, but Simon Fraser does not fund well so it really falls on him to make enough money for us to live on, in one of the most expensive cities in North America (Vancouver BC).

I think American is a stronger fit, and the funding is great. I'm not sure I want to live in DC but its more affordable than Vancouver. So I'm basically struggling with the location and money part. And the fact that our long term goal is to live in Canada, so a Canadian PhD makes a lot more sense. And I love Vancouver.

I'm headed to DC next week for the American admitted students day, and I'm a little apprehensive. I want to fall in love with it and the DC area, but I'm also afraid I will fall in love with it and then not go to Canada. This is causing what feels like some kind of existential crisis and I'm so close to letting my friends decide via FB poll ?

I'm also waiting to hear from McGill, also in Canada, though I suspect I am waitlisted and I'm assuming not going to get in at this point. McGill would likely win because Montreal is super affordable and its an excellent school and the person I would be working with studies exactly what I want to study, although its a Sociology program so I suspect that's why I've been waitlisted. In any event...existential crisis. 

Which of your schools are you thinking of? What is the driving factor in your decision?

Wow, a lot to unpack. For me, I have wanted to move to the DC area and have a career there. I totally understand how you are feeling. But I would say that getting into school in Canada would be beneficial for you to be a Canadian citizen if that is what you want to do! So going there would make more sense. I am deciding between UMass and American. Both programs seem great but I am leaning towards American. It is in the DC area and super attractive to me. Plus, I like the curriculum. 

Have you talked to anyone else accepted to American? Are they declining or accepting? 

I haven't talked to anyone else accepted to American. Will you be at the visit day next week? 

I think at this exact moment I am leaning towards American. As much as I would love to live in Vancouver and stay up there forever, I've always thought the American program was a better fit for me. Visiting DC may make this an easy choice, one way or another. Though I will probably wait until the last minute to make my decision. 

1 hour ago, RipCityBaby said:

I haven't talked to anyone else accepted to American. Will you be at the visit day next week? 

I think at this exact moment I am leaning towards American. As much as I would love to live in Vancouver and stay up there forever, I've always thought the American program was a better fit for me. Visiting DC may make this an easy choice, one way or another. Though I will probably wait until the last minute to make my decision. 

Unfortunately, I won't be at the visit but keep in touch and let me know what you decide to do!

18 hours ago, RipCityBaby said:

I'll be at American's Admitted Student Day next week.  I'm a current Master's student.  I only applied to AU, but my decision to continue my studies there was based on similar research interests with a professor I've developed a close relationship with, full-funding, and my overall positive experience with JLC... not to mention the abundance of opportunities in DC. Looking forward to meeting you next week!  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

2 hours ago, MVyer said:

I'll be at American's Admitted Student Day next week.  I'm a current Master's student.  I only applied to AU, but my decision to continue my studies there was based on similar research interests with a professor I've developed a close relationship with, full-funding, and my overall positive experience with JLC... not to mention the abundance of opportunities in DC. Looking forward to meeting you next week!  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Sent a PM! 

3 hours ago, MVyer said:

Can you tell me what you like about the program and maybe show me a sample syllabi of one of your classes?

Got into FIU, UM Lowell, and FSU with full funding. The stipend amounts are close to the same. Honestly unsure of which to pick.

Pros and cons to all 3 programs and cities ?

For UML: The program is 100% what I want but the COL is so expensive and my partner and I are unsure if we can make the numbers work  comfortably with a 7 year old. 

For FSU: The program is nice and the staff seems super supportive but it isn't 100% a match, I can MAKE it a match and they have stated they will support me in that but still. The COL there is super low though and with the stipend amount Id be living super nicely. The only issue is there is that my partner is a retail manager and his company has only 1 store in Tallahassee so the transfer prospects are slim.

For FIU: The program is BOMB, not as amazing as Lowell but still AMAZING. The COL is kind of on the high side but they are paying me nicely to cover. Not sure about hurricane season though 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an international student, and I have been accepted into PennState and Uni of Texas- Dallas. Debating which one to choose.

Firstly, PSU is a higher ranked program with diverse faculty and research. UTD is not as highly ranked as PSU, however, it has A. Piquero and N. Piquero as faculty, and they are supposed to be excellent in the field.

Secondly, with regards to graduate work prospects, PSU boasts a large number of alumni currently as faculty at various universities, corresponding data for the same is not available for UTD. 

Thirdly, and though this might seem trivial, UTD is located in Dallas, which is a burgeoning city- which seems like a plus, while I have no idea what living in university park will be like. I've lived all my life in a metropolitan.

Research interests match more or less on the same level for me at both unis. 

Any help/suggestion is welcome! _/\_