Graduate Fellowship/Research Assistant Positions

Hi! I've been receiving a few emails regarding opportunities to apply for graduate fellowship positions or research assistant positions as funding opportunities. Seeing that the costs are going to weigh a lot in my decision-making for schools, does anyone know whether it is appropriate to apply to these positions before committing to a school on the deadline of April 15? And whether the programs will let you know if you were nominated for the position before April 15?

Thank you in advance!!!

18 hours ago, CafeSuaDa said:

Hi! I've been receiving a few emails regarding opportunities to apply for graduate fellowship positions or research assistant positions as funding opportunities. Seeing that the costs are going to weigh a lot in my decision-making for schools, does anyone know whether it is appropriate to apply to these positions before committing to a school on the deadline of April 15? And whether the programs will let you know if you were nominated for the position before April 15?

Thank you in advance!!!

My understanding is that it depends on the school! For example, one of the schools I was accepted to included information as to how to apply for a graduate assistantship in the acceptance email; another school said in their letter that they had sent out assistantship offers to some applicants already, and then April 15th, the school would send other applicants offers based on who had accepted admissions. But I've also been accepted to programs where assistantship applications are totally separate from the admissions process, and those deadlines vary if they are before or after the 15th. One of my top choice schools doesn't offer any assistantships until after the 15th and they know who is in the cohort. Which is really tough, because obviously funding is a big part of my decision! So, I really feel you!! Which schools are you looking into for fellowships and assistantships? Did your responses from the schools include any information about them?