Emory school of theology master of religious leadership

Mikas@

Hi, I am considering to go to a program which can be both practical and academic. At first I wish to go to a MTS program directly  and then purse a Phd degree. Later I find that my church need people who can do some pastoral caring works. With a pure academic degree I am not sure if I am capable to help people who are having difficulties in faith or in their life. Is the master of religious leadership from emory's school of theology a good program for my situation? I hope I can purse a MTS then probably a Phd after I gain some practical training. Any suggestions? What's the chances for getting into this program? My undergrad GPA wasn't very idea, about 2.8. 

Edited by WeieW

Emory is a fine school. I don't know anyone that has graduated from Emory with this degree though so I can't speak to that.

If you're wanting to go onto a Ph.D. with a focus on pastoral care, most of these programs are going to expect a M.Div and sizeable CPE experience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 4:03 AM, xypathos said:

Emory is a fine school. I don't know anyone that has graduated from Emory with this degree though so I can't speak to that.

If you're wanting to go onto a Ph.D. with a focus on pastoral care, most of these programs are going to expect a M.Div and sizeable CPE experience.

Hi, thank you for you advise very much! I decide to apply for emory's master of divinity program instead. In their handbook. it says "All completed applications, regard- less of the GPA of the applicant, will be fully reviewed by the admissions committee".   Does that mean the GPA is not a important factor in admission to master of divinity program? I was chemistry major in my first two years in college and I did very badly (it was my parents decision). I failed and retook some science and math class but still didn't get good grades. Do I need to explain that in my personal statement?

Best

15 hours ago, WeieW said:

Hi, thank you for you advise very much! I decide to apply for emory's master of divinity program instead. In their handbook. it says "All completed applications, regard- less of the GPA of the applicant, will be fully reviewed by the admissions committee".   Does that mean the GPA is not a important factor in admission to master of divinity program? I was chemistry major in my first two years in college and I did very badly (it was my parents decision). I failed and retook some science and math class but still didn't get good grades. Do I need to explain that in my personal statement?

Best

As a whole, GPA isn't that important for most M.Div programs. They review people holistically and understand that people come from all walks of life. That said, divinity school is a graduate program so if your GPA is particularly bad (around a 2.0 out of 4.0), then a sentence or two about how you improved your grades and the step(s) you've taken to make sure you don't repeat bad grades would be helpful. Don't spend more than 1-2 sentences on this though!

On 3/27/2019 at 3:06 AM, xypathos said:

As a whole, GPA isn't that important for most M.Div programs. They review people holistically and understand that people come from all walks of life. That said, divinity school is a graduate program so if your GPA is particularly bad (around a 2.0 out of 4.0), then a sentence or two about how you improved your grades and the step(s) you've taken to make sure you don't repeat bad grades would be helpful. Don't spend more than 1-2 sentences on this though!

Thanks! Would it be helpful if I submit an extra writing sample or other supporting materials? maybe extra recommendation letter? 

Only if you feel that it's important to understanding something about you that can't be conveyed in a required place. Everyone is a little different but sometimes optional or "excess" material isn't read by your app reader.