Staying at UG institution for MS

I’ve gotten into three programs already, presumed rejection from Berkeley and I might get into NYU but probably won’t go. U of M admitted to essentially being a full-cost degree farm for the program I applied to, so that’s off the list. My first choice of the schools I was admitted to - RPI PhD - has me on their funding waitlist and I refuse to do a PhD unfunded. 

That leaves me with my current UG institution, which isn’t very well known in my field, but offered me a full tuition package with a small but reasonable stipend via a TA-ship. It’s only an MS and apparently only the most competitive MS candidates get a TA-ship; the other positions go to their PhD candidates. So at this point it’s my best option, unless I get off the funding waitlist at RPI. 

I plan to apply to a lot of the same universities I got rejected from for my PhD after I obtain my Masters. My question is, will it look bad at all that I’m staying at my UG institution for my MS? Will it impact my admissions probability at all, or is it more about the work I will do in my Masters to adcomms?

Or, I could just throw that offer out the door and work for a year, then reapply. But I thought that would look worse on PhD applications than completing an MS, but maybe I’m wrong. Any guidance appreciated!

Edited by literalturtle
I plan to apply for PhD programs straight out of my Masters

I'm interested in this too -- one of my options is staying at my undergrad institution for an MA and reapplying in two years' time (and my choice might be determined by finances). I've heard that in my fields (linguistics, medieval studies) that it looks kinda bad to job hiring committees if you stay for your whole PhD, but I'm not sure if there's something similarly negative about an MA to admissions committees for PhD programs.

And maybe it makes a difference what you do during your master's if you stay? If you really apply yourself to come out with top marks, conference presentations, maybe publishing, get in on conference/workshop planning, etc -- perhaps that would overcome any potential trepidation that you just cruised into a master's as essentially an extra year of undergrad?? I don't know, so I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say! 

2 hours ago, literalturtle said:

My question is, will it look bad at all that I’m staying at my UG institution for my MS? Will it impact my admissions probability at all, or is it more about the work I will do in my Masters to adcomms?

Or, I could just throw that offer out the door and work for a year, then reapply. But I thought that would look worse on PhD applications than completing an MS, but maybe I’m wrong. Any guidance appreciated!

In a vacuum, staying at your UG for an MA/MS is no big deal. But your case is a little different. You applied to other schools, did not receive attractive offers, and stayed at you UG for an MA/MS. What can two more years (albeit in a Masters program) do to improve your chances. Especially if most of what you are doing is taking more classes? Maybe it can do a lot. I do not know. I just don't the answer is straightforward in your case. 

Moreover, based on your replies in other posts, it sounds like you might benefit from a chance of scenery. I would say work for a year. The ability to hold down a job and do well is not going to looked upon poorly. If it is, the people who do are not worth working for.