Continuing undergrad project as master's thesis?

produxtui

Hi everyone,

I am preparing to begin a two-year Master's program in the Fall. The first year of this program is centered around the learning the programs, effective research methods, and anythings else that serves as the foundations of this field. After, we begin our second year with a thesis proposal, and the following semester we carry out our thesis to completion (for a total of 1 to 1.5 semesters of work).

I have a thorough undergraduate project that I completed last semester that I think can easily be expanded into a full-fledged Master's research thesis. However, right now it's my backup plan.

I am curious if anyone of you have ever continued a project from undergrad as a Master's project, and whether or not you would recommend doing it or not?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 5:57 PM, produxtui said:

Hi everyone,

I am preparing to begin a two-year Master's program in the Fall. The first year of this program is centered around the learning the programs, effective research methods, and anythings else that serves as the foundations of this field. After, we begin our second year with a thesis proposal, and the following semester we carry out our thesis to completion (for a total of 1 to 1.5 semesters of work).

I have a thorough undergraduate project that I completed last semester that I think can easily be expanded into a full-fledged Master's research thesis. However, right now it's my backup plan.

I am curious if anyone of you have ever continued a project from undergrad as a Master's project, and whether or not you would recommend doing it or not?

This is the kind of question that is best answered by consulting with the professor with whom you will be working and the DGS and the professor who will chair your committee. If you elect to have such conversations, I strongly recommend against using words like "easily," especially if you intend to pursue a doctorate down the line.