ENMU SLP synchronized online classes. How does it work?

HI. I was wondering if any past or current SLP ENMU students can tell me how the  synchronized classes work? I want to take a class over the summer but the class is during work times. I work until the end of June. I was wondering can I log in and be present during the class time and have it playing in the background. Will I have to participate or use my video? I have a desk job and have a computer with internet access. 

Hi! I'm a current distance student. You're going to be watching a live feed of the class as its happening. We use Skype to type in questions/contributions/take attendance. I like to use the Skype app on my phone to ask a quick question if I have one. I haven't had a class yet where I've needed to "call in" and use my webcam. BUT I did have a class last semester (neuro with Bratcher) and during class we had to work on group projects during class time. I've had other classes where I missed because of work and just watched the recording of class that evening. I haven't taken summer classes but I've heard its really intense so just be prepared to be able to ask a lot of questions and potentially rewatch lectures.

• 2 weeks later...

This is very helpful! I talked to graduate students and they advised me not to take the class and log in while working. They said it is very different than the undergraduate classes. I will be taking classes in the Fall.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:03 PM, jsieges said:

Hi! I'm a current distance student. You're going to be watching a live feed of the class as its happening. We use Skype to type in questions/contributions/take attendance. I like to use the Skype app on my phone to ask a quick question if I have one. I haven't had a class yet where I've needed to "call in" and use my webcam. BUT I did have a class last semester (neuro with Bratcher) and during class we had to work on group projects during class time. I've had other classes where I missed because of work and just watched the recording of class that evening. I haven't taken summer classes but I've heard its really intense so just be prepared to be able to ask a lot of questions and potentially rewatch lectures.

Do you get penalized for not being online for the class time or is it fine to just watch the recording?

On 3/31/2019 at 4:37 PM, Jess3863 said:

Do you get penalized for not being online for the class time or is it fine to just watch the recording?

Totally depends on the class/professor. Last semester I had one class where I needed to be on and watching live because we used class time to do group work through google docs. So If I wasn't on then I would miss those points. Also had a class that required us to do a quiz on blackboard in the middle of the lecture. This semester for both my classes the professor has a policy of keeping the lecture recordings available unless she sees that attendance is down. The only real disadvantage of not watching live is not being able to ask questions but that's the case in every class. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. I was so baffled by the process when I started.

20 hours ago, jsieges said:

Totally depends on the class/professor. Last semester I had one class where I needed to be on and watching live because we used class time to do group work through google docs. So If I wasn't on then I would miss those points. Also had a class that required us to do a quiz on blackboard in the middle of the lecture. This semester for both my classes the professor has a policy of keeping the lecture recordings available unless she sees that attendance is down. The only real disadvantage of not watching live is not being able to ask questions but that's the case in every class. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. I was so baffled by the process when I started.

Thank you for your reply!! What time are classes typically? Is it possible to work in a school and make it to class?

17 hours ago, Jess3863 said:

Thank you for your reply!! What time are classes typically? Is it possible to work in a school and make it to class?

They vary depending on the professor. I substitute teach so sometimes I watch live and sometimes I catch up on the weekend. I have Swift this semester if that helps at all! Last semester Bratcher would have us work during class time. And I know Copple only teaches in the evenings.