2020 Statistics Applicant Profile

Undergrad Institution : Large state university, ranked about 50ish nationally

Major(s): Computer Science, Economics
GPA: 3.32

Type of Student: Domestic, Hispanic Male
Courses taken: Calc II (A-), Multivariable Calc (A-), Linear Algebra (A-), Intro to Stats & Prob (B-), Econometrics (A-), Game Theory (B+), Discrete Math (B), Algorithms (C+)

GRE General Test:
Q:
V: 160
W: 4.5

Programs Applying: Statistics (maybe data science too as I have a CS background, but I'd prefer general stats)
Research Experience: Secondary contributor on a published cost/benefit analysis

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Will have worked two years between undergrad and potential graduate matriculation, but the job isn't extremely relevant with only trivial forms of data analysis (Excel, etc.)
Letters of Recommendation: Probably generic

Applying to where: 
MS: George Washington, Georgetown, American, George Mason, UT-Dallas, Baylor, SMU, Rice
PhD: Possibly Baylor just for the hell of it

My undergraduate record isn't exactly overwhelming with math courses, and among the ones I did take I was very mediocre in some of them. Really wish I'd been more serious about preparing myself for grad school but I didn't realize I'd want a Master's in stats until very late. What can you do, I guess. Anybody care to share their opinion on my chances? You're more than welcome to roast me.
Edited by canandbowery

I'm an applicant this year, so I'm just spitballing here.  Your calc and linear algebra grades are perfectly fine, and those will be the most important for a master's.  The Stat & Probability grade isn't great, and that might factor in, but I doubt your algorithms grade (for example) will really be an issue.  Your GRE scores are quite fine, those should be good enough for anywhere.  If you wanted a stronger profile for top master's programs (or maybe for a PhD program or 2 that you might apply to), then taking a real analysis or proofs-based sequences & series sort of class would help, but I don't know to what extent you'd really have time or money for that.  My initial impression is that you'd probably have reasonable chances at the master's programs you mentioned here, but it might be difficult to get into Baylor's PhD program if you do apply.  As I said, I'm not an expert, so if Bayessays or Stat PhD Now Postdoc or another more experienced poster comments, take their word over mine.

If I may ask, what is your goal post-masters?  As you're probably aware, some masters are geared more towards sending people into industry, whereas others can prepare you for industry but also cover enough theoretical background to make you a good PhD applicant, so that could inform any suggestions if future posters think you're under- or over-applying and want to suggest some appropriate places you might want to send applications.

Edited by Geococcyx

5 minutes ago, Geococcyx said:

I'm an applicant this year, so I'm just spitballing here.  Your calc and linear algebra grades are perfectly fine, and those will be the most important for a master's.  The Stat & Probability grade isn't great, and that might factor in, but I doubt your algorithms grade (for example) will really be an issue.  Your GRE scores are quite fine, those should be good enough for anywhere.  If you wanted a stronger profile for top master's programs (or maybe for a PhD program or 2 that you might apply to), then taking a real analysis or proofs-based sequences & series sort of class would help, but I don't know to what extent you'd really have time or money for that.  My initial impression is that you'd probably have reasonable chances at the master's programs you mentioned here, but it might be difficult to get into Baylor's PhD program if you do apply.  As I said, I'm not an expert, so if Bayessays or Stat PhD Now Postdoc or another more experienced poster comments, take their word over mine.

If I may ask, what is your goal post-masters?  As you're probably aware, some masters are geared more towards sending people into industry, whereas others can prepare you for industry but also cover enough theoretical background to make you a good PhD applicant, so that could inform any suggestions if future posters think you're under- or over-applying and want to suggest some appropriate places you might want to send applications.

Thanks for the insight! Most definitely interested in dipping for industry right after, but the obvious draw to a PhD is the $. There's still some research I have to do for specific Master's programs so my list is somewhat flexible, but as you can probably tell I'd prefer to end up near DC or somewhere in Texas so that constrains my options a bit. Fully open to suggestions though.

My friend got his masters from UTD stat. He described it as a lot of unnecessary theoretical proofs. But when it came time to search for jobs, he had a distinct advantage over just a bachelors. The masters is like the new bachelors when it comes to getting statistician/data science jobs. 

14 minutes ago, thecodemachine said:

My friend got his masters from UTD stat. He described it as a lot of unnecessary theoretical proofs. But when it came time to search for jobs, he had a distinct advantage over just a bachelors. The masters is like the new bachelors when it comes to getting statistician/data science jobs. 

Just about every Statistics and Biostatistics Masters program will have a theoretical component (at the very least,  a full year of Casella & Berger statistics theory and one course on Theory of Linear Models), unless you do one of those Applied Statistics Masters programs. And I think a lot of employers view the "Applied Statistics" Masters as less rigorous than just a plain Masters in Statistics.

6 minutes ago, Stat PhD Now Postdoc said:

Just about every Statistics and Biostatistics Masters program will have a theoretical component (at the very least,  a full year of Casella & Berger statistics theory and one course on Theory of Linear Models), unless you do one of those Applied Statistics Masters programs. And I think a lot of employers view the "Applied Statistics" Masters as less rigorous than just a plain Masters in Statistics.

Could I pleeeeease get your opinion on my profile and school selection? You seem to be the GOAT of this forum

Your career goals will greatly affect your choice of schools. You mentioned that you want to go into industry, but potentially get a PhD later.

Take American University. They are not known for statistics or really STEM in general. I think it would be quite difficult to go from that program into a decent PhD program. However, I interned as a data scientist at one of the largest American manufacturing companies last summer and I had coworkers who earned stats masters degrees at American University.

So I think you would be able to get a good job from any of those programs since they are well known universities and statisticians/data scientists are in high demand. However, I don't think getting a masters degree from those universities (with the exception of Rice) will help you get into a reputable stats PhD program. Almost everyone gets good grades in masters programs, so it can be hard to stand out. Many masters programs do not have much of a research focus. Some of the programs you listed, like SMU, are applied statistics degrees, which are not meant to be a stepping stone for a PhD. Some programs to have internal admit from MS to PhD, so look into that.

Other notes:

Georgetown does not have separate math and stats departments, so their master's degree seems to be more like applied math. 

Baylor says on their website that they primarily admit people to their PhD program.