Georgetown SSP versus George Washington SPS

newtodc206

I've been accepted to both Georgetown's Security Studies Program and George Washington's Security Policy Studies program. As someone who has not worked in DC or the security field, I feel ill-equipped to decide which program will prepare me best for a job in international security. 

GWU offers a lot of 1 credit professional courses that I find to be extremely valuable - mediation skills, methods in intl program evaluation, formal briefing, etc. Does Georgetown assume students already have these skills? In what ways do they provide similar instruction?

Additionally, Georgetown SSP previously required a thesis in the second year of the program. SSP's website states they are abolishing this requirement starting in Fall 2019, but I'm not sure what they'll be replacing this requirement with. Unlike GWU, I don't see that Georgetown allows an internship/project as a capstone. The idea of gaining experience through GWU's global capstone project intrigues me, and the fact that GU does not offer something similar is a major downside.

Does anyone have insight as to why one program is better than the other for students interested in international security? 

All I can say is Georgetown SFS is ranked number 1 in the country. The networking opportunities you will get there will be unparalleled. In DC everyone has heard of both schools but I am from the midwest and no one has heard of GWU out here. I got into their Elliot school and I was so excited to tell people, they all thought I meant Georgetown. So if prestige and name recognition mean anything in your decision process, GU is the way to go. 

• 11 months later...

Reviving this as I am currently having the same dilemma.... any advice on what you chose and why? 

The GW program looks far more interesting than the Georgetown one, which seems very basic (looks like that thesis was replaced with a comprehensive exam, not exactly the most useful). However, I imagine any program in SFS in reality has to be top quality... and Georgetown is Georgetown.

Is there really a big difference between these programs, and is the name brand really worth it?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 7:35 PM, tmw123 said:

Reviving this as I am currently having the same dilemma.... any advice on what you chose and why? 

The GW program looks far more interesting than the Georgetown one, which seems very basic (looks like that thesis was replaced with a comprehensive exam, not exactly the most useful). However, I imagine any program in SFS in reality has to be top quality... and Georgetown is Georgetown.

Is there really a big difference between these programs, and is the name brand really worth it?

Thanks!

I think it helps to understand background.

1. SSP is basically one gigantic make your own education however you want it + networking + DC living party. Honestly, that is a very very very smart approach, because there so many different people from the security fields with different experiences and different goals, so rather than trying to do cookie cutter solutions, they made it highly modular. Instead what they focus on is making sure you are properly network (honestly the amount of networking opportunities is rather insane) + you have the opportunity to work while you are in school on projects and part time internships (all insanely cool things). I will say that downside of SSP is that the community isn't that close since everyone is doing there own thing. You just have to make your own group.

2. GW SPS may sound like it is more academically intense, but I actually view its curriculum as handcuffs for some people. I mean, who wants to take classes they have 6 years experience with?

I have seen a few SPS people around in the security world in DC, but by far SSP, SAIS, and other SFS grad programs are a DC mafia that you want to join. I honestly crossed off the program early and didn't explore further beyond not liking their class set up. 

Honestly, you are buying into more than just the brand with SSP. You are buying into access in terms of:

1. The people that come to Georgetown (sometimes they come saying hi, I'm here to offer a research project).

2. The people in the Georgetown Universe (students and faculty... and yes, the backgrounds are rather insane).

Also... SSP is the only Security Studies programs that can compete with other IR programs like Fletcher or SAIS or MSFS to get prestigious fellowships (Boren, PMF, and etc.). 

Bottom line..., if you got in, I would go to SSP.