Chances of actually getting off of a waitlist

crackademik

I've always wondered what the chances are of getting off of a waitlist. I've heard mixed things here and there about the chances, but if anyone has their own waitlist story please feel free to share. Do people ever get off of a waitlist before April 15th? Is it normal to be notified of a rejection after being on a waitlist or do schools sometimes leave people in limbo months after the april deadline or never change the status at all? 

Depends a lot on school and field and the habits of the director of graduate admissions.

It would also be sensible to e-mail the director of graduate admissions at the institution where you are waitlisted and ask them if they typically admit students from the waitlist, and/or when you are likely to hear back (this is early April for most places). You might also ask if the waitlist is ranked and if so what place you are on it. Obvously, top people on the waitlist have a much higher chance than someone further down.

Also of course check the acepted students page on this website for previous yrs waitlist reults

Edited by klavierstucke

6 minutes ago, klavierstucke said:

Depends a lot on school and field and the habits of the director of graduate admissions.

It would also be sensible to e-mail the director of graduate admissions at the institution where you are waitlisted and ask them if they typically admit students from the waitlist, and/or when you are likely to hear back (this is early April for most places). You might also ask if the waitlist is ranked and if so what place you are on it. Obvously, top people on the waitlist have a much higher chance than someone further down.

Also of course check the acepted students page on this website for previous yrs waitlist reults

I just emailed the secretary to check my position. Unfortunately there are almost zero results for the program at which I was waitlisted so I can't really gauge it off of that :(

17 minutes ago, crackademik said:

I just emailed the secretary to check my position. Unfortunately there are almost zero results for the program at which I was waitlisted so I can't really gauge it off of that :(

From my own experience, secretaries does not much about waitlists. I guess, they are kind of "connectors" between admissions commitee and students. Try to email program director. 

P.S. I do envy you. In a positive way, of course :) You have several admits and worrying about waitlist. Unfortunately, I have no admits at all and have just three waitlists:(

11 minutes ago, Izakawa said:

From my own experience, secretaries does not much about waitlists. I guess, they are kind of "connectors" between admissions commitee and students. Try to email program director. 

P.S. I do envy you. In a positive way, of course :) You have several admits and worrying about waitlist. Unfortunately, I have no admits at all and have just three waitlists:(

For some reason, this program is so small that the secretary I've been in contact with throughout this process actually does know a lot about what is going with admissions. She was initially the one to tell me I was waitlisted before I got the official notification. And thank you! I know it's stupid to be worrying about waitlists but I'm admittedly a control freak and don't like open ended things. Until I've officially accepted an offer, I'll probably be freaking out no matter what. 

1 hour ago, Izakawa said:

Hey I'm in the same boat.  15 apps, 4 waitlists, no acceptances. I predict we will be accepted from a waitlist on April 7.

@crackademik Try not to worry It will all be over soon! I don't like uncertainty that much either.

Edited by klavierstucke

I was notified in late Feb. (I think) that I was on the waitlist for Loyola Chicago's PhD program. The graduate program director basically let me know that they were giving other offers out first and that I had a strong application, but they'd have to let me know later. I got a voicemail yesterday that I was accepted. I had a friend last year who was waitlisted at Harvard for a philosophy PhD, and she was accepted from the waitlist a couple of days after April 15. 

It's possible, but it really depends on the program!