Online MSW: Am I Qualified?

oruano

Hi everyone,

I'm a new graduate at the University of Michigan (B.A in Sociology) and wanted to know if anyone had experience applying to online MSW programs. Mainly I'm interested in knowing how the programs were and whether I'm qualified to be applying to many of the schools I have listed below. Unfortunately I have a lower GPA of 2.9 and don't have any work experience within the social work field. However,  I have continuously improved my grades throughout my college career (it started out rough) and have been a part of multiple organizations that promote social work. How would I fare applying to these schools?

- Portland State University

- Western New Mexico University

- University of Central Florida

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated!!

You won’t know unless you apply. I had a 2.9 undergrad GPA too. I’ve been accepted into top 25 schools. I am a veteran with multiple deployments to Afghanistan so I think that helped. I also had a 3.75 in graduate work. MSW programs look at the whole student from what I’ve read. 

But seriously, you won’t know unless you apply. 

33 minutes ago, Otter13 said:

You won’t know unless you apply. I had a 2.9 undergrad GPA too. I’ve been accepted into top 25 schools. I am a veteran with multiple deployments to Afghanistan so I think that helped. I also had a 3.75 in graduate work. MSW programs look at the whole student from what I’ve read. 

But seriously, you won’t know unless you apply. 

This. I also think having work or volunteer experience in a related field would help your case tremendously. But you never know until you try. I got into Columbia last year with little relevant experience, but my GPA was also 3.5. 

There are many online social work programs. I would definitely suggest you take the time to research them. There are also hybrid programs that are pretty amazing. I will warn you that there are online programs out there thst jobs will not hire you if you went there. Be selective. I've heard of a lot of places that say if they see certain online schools they don't even look at the application. They can be very expensive so pay attention to that as well. Most social work programs seem to favor work and volunteer experience. But I agree with what has already been stated above. You never know until you try! You can apply and in the meantime look for work in that field. Also remember that often grad schools will really look at your last 60 units and not just your cumulative GPA. 

7 hours ago, Kaytea11 said:

There are many online social work programs. I would definitely suggest you take the time to research them. There are also hybrid programs that are pretty amazing. I will warn you that there are online programs out there thst jobs will not hire you if you went there. Be selective. I've heard of a lot of places that say if they see certain online schools they don't even look at the application. They can be very expensive so pay attention to that as well. Most social work programs seem to favor work and volunteer experience. But I agree with what has already been stated above. You never know until you try! You can apply and in the meantime look for work in that field. Also remember that often grad schools will really look at your last 60 units and not just your cumulative GPA. 

This is fascinating, would you mind specifying which online schools you are talking about that employers won’t consider? I feel like as long as it’s an accredited program, it shouldn’t matter, but at the same time I wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

@doctormelody

From when I talk to people the one I know for sure is University of Phoenix. Those type of schools that cost like 100k don't have the best reputation. But of course the SJSU online program would be perfectly okay. Employers wouldn't even know you got your degree online. I know some social workers who got their degree online and when I talk about my application process they don't relate at all. It seemed all they had to do was apply and they got in. I am suspicious of these programs. We work at a non profit and they aren't too picky about where you get your degree. They are amazing social workers, so don't get me wrong, but if you want to work for the county or if you want those higher paying positions the school matters. This profession already isn't known for having the best pay. I know it's not all about the money but why limit your options? 

14 hours ago, Kaytea11 said:

@doctormelody

From when I talk to people the one I know for sure is University of Phoenix. Those type of schools that cost like 100k don't have the best reputation. But of course the SJSU online program would be perfectly okay. Employers wouldn't even know you got your degree online. I know some social workers who got their degree online and when I talk about my application process they don't relate at all. It seemed all they had to do was apply and they got in. I am suspicious of these programs. We work at a non profit and they aren't too picky about where you get your degree. They are amazing social workers, so don't get me wrong, but if you want to work for the county or if you want those higher paying positions the school matters. This profession already isn't known for having the best pay. I know it's not all about the money but why limit your options? 

Gotcha, I mean that makes sense since it's a for-profit school. I would never consider attending a program at a school that didn't have an established reputation as well as a brick-and-mortar campus. Thanks for replying!

Edited by doctormelody

OP, I can't speak to all of those programs, or really what its like applying to any of them. (I was going to apply to Portland, especially because i loved their healthcare concentration), but cost was a deciding factor for me, so I didn't bother. Anyways, I was highly interested in their program. It was my first pick. Everything I had read was that their program is highly competetive because it is the only CSWE accredited program in the state. I would apply as early as possible, and if you are able get that resume beefed up (if you havnt, even volunteering can help). 

The only real way to know is to apply. Hopefully you get in and you wont have to worry about it, but if you dont you can ask why you were denied. You could also take a class or two at your local college/university to try and pull your GPA up. 

Several of the schools I looked into wanted 3.0 or higher (some even higher than that). If it was under a 3.0 they wanted GRE scores. 
If you feel confident in taking the GRE, maybe do that so that you can show, despite your GPA, that you have more merit than meets the eye.