University of Toronto MA Criminology & Sociolegal Studies

mandy39

Did anyone hear back from this program? I think the first wave of offers and rejections came out around March 7th, but haven't heard about anything since then. My status is still "under review."

Kind of unfortunate, this remind me of capital punishment in Japan. I mean it's not as bad, but never the less!

Amnesty also reports allegations of abuse of suspects during these interrogations. There are reports of physical abuse, sleep deprivation and denial of food, water and use of a toilet.[32] One of its biggest criticisms is that inmates usually remain for years (and sometimes decades) on death row without ever actually being informed of the date of their execution prior to the date itself, so inmates suffer due to the uncertainty of not knowing whether or not any given day will be their last. According to Amnesty International, the intense and prolonged stress means many inmates on death row have poor mental health, suffering from the so-called death row phenomenon. The failure to give advanced notice of executions has been stated by the United Nations Human Rights Committee to be incompatible with articles 2, 7 and 10 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.[9]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Japan#Criticism