MSW Decisions

I applied to five programs for the Fall 2019 cycle. My residency is currently in Washington State, and I reside in Utah as I finish out my undergraduate. The programs were Utah, UW, USC, Michigan, and Ohio State. Out of those programs, I was only accepted into USC and Ohio State. I was also waitlisted at Michigan. Ultimately, I turned down USC because the tuition was just too much. It was not worth the price. However, I have been looking at Ohio State, out of state fees are still quite pricey but I could do that for a year and go instate for the next. The real question is, is it worth it? Would it be better to work for a year and reapply? My concerns is that if I do that, I may end up in a position where I don't get into my desired programs yet again and find myself in a rut I cannot get out of. However, instate is definitely cheap. Another problem is that there is only three programs in Utah, two of which are selective and one that only admits a cohort every other year. Another school is in the works for candidacy, but the risk of going to an unaccredited program is too risky for me. Washington has three programs, but one of them is a commuter only program and is too far to make feasible. The other program could work, but the housing situation is a mess and I don't want to buy furniture if I know I will not be there long term after graduation and have to move that stuff out. I am trying to figure out what would be my best move here. There is a lot to break down, it's difficult when your states have very few overall options. 

First, Congratulations on your offers!

Second, what about another option? I was recently accepted into West Virgina University for their program. When letting them know if I will attend or not, I have the option to enroll this fall, enroll the following fall, or decline altogether. They said I can defer the acceptance for one year.without reapplying. So is it possible for you to defer for one year, move to Ohio now, and then start next year with in state tuition?

4 hours ago, Neep said:

First, Congratulations on your offers!

Second, what about another option? I was recently accepted into West Virgina University for their program. When letting them know if I will attend or not, I have the option to enroll this fall, enroll the following fall, or decline altogether. They said I can defer the acceptance for one year.without reapplying. So is it possible for you to defer for one year, move to Ohio now, and then start next year with in state tuition?

This is a good option if you can swing it.