Is it appropriate to defer an offer and reapply next round?

T Qi

Question

For MS offers. I'm more interested in PhD programs, and I thought maybe I could defer my MS offer and work as an RA and reapply next year. If I failed to get a satisfying offer, I can still go back to get my MS. Is it appropriate to do this? Thanks!

2 answers to this question

On 4/3/2019 at 10:58 AM, T Qi said:

For MS offers. I'm more interested in PhD programs, and I thought maybe I could defer my MS offer and work as an RA and reapply next year. If I failed to get a satisfying offer, I can still go back to get my MS. Is it appropriate to do this? Thanks!

I am not sure if schools would see this as a good reason to defer your offer. I mean, they might let you defer it, but I think they would rather you do the MS and pay them tuition money instead of them pay for you as an RA. Do you already get have a job as an RA?

Edited by IceCream & MatSci

No, unless the program explicitly says otherwise.

The purpose of a deferral is not for you to eliminate any risk to yourself while you shop around for other options. The purpose of a deferral is for you to hold a spot that you know (or are reasonably sure) you intend to take while you take care of either unforeseen circumstances or something that will enhance your studentship. For example, lots of students defer to complete military service; others defer for medical or family reasons; still others might defer because they got a Fulbright or into the Peace Corps.

If you defer for the first reason, you're tying up a spot that the university could grant to another student when you're not even sure you will go (and actually, are pretty sure you won't attend, unless you get nothing better).

Now, whether or not you do it is a different question. But that's not what deferrals are intended for, and is the reason some universities actually limit the reasons you can take a deferral.