Psychometrist job?

EileanDonan

Hi folks,

I've been applying to RA jobs (around 30) the past few weeks, with no real success yet. I've been considering throwing in a few apps to psychometrist jobs, but I've also been hesitant considering these are obviously not research based, and my long-term goal is a clinical psych Ph.D. On the other hand, specializing in assessments is also a particular interest of mine. With that said, would it be worth taking one of these jobs, or should I maintain focus on RA positions? If anyone has worked as a psychometrist, would you be willing to offer insight into the potential value of such a position?

Advice appreciated!

I worked as a neuro-psychometirican tech for about 9 months during my master's and it was a good job with amazing opportunities. I worked at an AMC, which was great because there were lots of research opportunities for me there from all our testing data (didn't do anything research-wise while I was there, but hindsight is 20/20 as I could have been more proactive on that end) and there was a lot of cross-departmental collaboration. One of our neuropsychologists worked a lot with fmri, wada testing, that kind of neuro stuff, so we got to interact with neurosurgeons, anesthesiologists, neurologists, and all the people in their departments, so those were really good experiences. If your position isn't at an AMC or a hospital and just a private practice or a smaller setting, there still can definitely be research opportunities if you get your supervising psychologist on board and take some initiative. If your long term goal is clinical work as a PhD then the psychometrist position is a great route to go for sure.

Hello!

Current psychometrist that will be going for my masters this fall. Feel free to PM me. I'm happy to answer any questions that you may have about the role. 

To Itzik: They are very hard jobs to find as there are not that many positions out there. I applied to the few positions that were open in my area (Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN) for two years before I found somewhere that would hire me. (At the time I was applying to openings I had very little psychometric experience.)

On 4/11/2019 at 12:11 AM, personallycentered said:

I worked as a neuro-psychometirican tech for about 9 months during my master's and it was a good job with amazing opportunities. I worked at an AMC, which was great because there were lots of research opportunities for me there from all our testing data (didn't do anything research-wise while I was there, but hindsight is 20/20 as I could have been more proactive on that end) and there was a lot of cross-departmental collaboration. One of our neuropsychologists worked a lot with fmri, wada testing, that kind of neuro stuff, so we got to interact with neurosurgeons, anesthesiologists, neurologists, and all the people in their departments, so those were really good experiences. If your position isn't at an AMC or a hospital and just a private practice or a smaller setting, there still can definitely be research opportunities if you get your supervising psychologist on board and take some initiative. If your long term goal is clinical work as a PhD then the psychometrist position is a great route to go for sure.

Thanks for sharing, that's definitely insightful!

14 minutes ago, Itzik said:

If you don’t mind, can I ask how you are finding psychometric & RA positions, I am struggling to find both in my area and in general.

I don't have any special tricks really - I just Google psychometrist openings (typically found through the usual job hubs), and I lucked out by finding one in my area. Bachelor's level ones are definitely more difficult to find, but you can occasionally luck, out especially if you're not bound to a specific location. I mostly find RA positions through universities or hospitals.

4 minutes ago, JungAtHeart said:

Hello!

Current psychometrist that will be going for my masters this fall. Feel free to PM me. I'm happy to answer any questions that you may have about the role.

Appreciated :)

• 4 years later...