Accepting/declining on 15h of April

Hi guys, I think this may be a silly question, but oh well. As an international student, I am not quite sure how common is it to wait until the last minute to give your final decision? I have anticipated that by this time I would know where I am going, but I just can't decide between two options and it is driving me crazy.  I am starting to get worried that I now look like an asshole to both programs no matter what I will do. I am thinking that the program I will pick will think they were my safety choice, and the other one will think I was waiting for better offer. Neither is true, but I would understand if they would think that. Is this a very common situation in USA or is it usually just the waitlisted people that wait so long? Is it worth it trying to explain on Monday that as an international student I had to account for many other things besides the program as well and that is why I took so long? I feel horrible about the fact that the other program will have to invite people AFTER 15 april, when many other applicants probably chose their program already :(  

I will appreciate any comments/suggestions. I suspect that my overthinking took over and this is a relatively normal situation, but it would be best to hear from other people.

Plenty of people wait to the last day to give their answers if they're waiting on offers, though giving your answer earlier (if you've made up your mind already) generally is considered polite for others on the waitlists. You're allowed to wait, and you don't have to tell the programs why. Since you're international, though, don't forget to keep your time zone in mind!

1 minute ago, palyndrone said:

Since you're international, though, don't forget to keep your time zone in mind!

Hi!! Thank you so much for responding! Now I have another silly question - does this mean that I need to give my decision on the 14th? From all of my previous correspondence I assumed this is including the 15th! :( Would this mean that on Monday morning my offer is canceled? 

I was in the same boat! I shortlisted my top two choices but both options are very good so it was a really tough decision. Two days before the deadline, I listened to my heart and gave my choice. I hope you can also eventually choose the best option for you but I am pretty sure that you will happy in either case and you should be!

• 10 months later...

. I am thinking that the program I will pick will think they were my safety choice, and the other one will think I was waiting for better offer. Neither is true, but I would understand if they would think that. Is this a very common situation in USA or is it usually just the waitlisted people that wait so long? Is it worth it trying to explain on Monday that as an international student I had to account for many other things besides the program as well and that is why I took so long? I feel horrible about the fact that the other program will have to invite people AFTER 15 april, when many other applicants probably chose their program already