2018 - 2019 NSF DDRI

dillwithit

Hey! I thought I would start a thread since it has been awhile since the existing ones have been updated. I applied to the January deadline for the bio anthropology DDRIG. Has anyone heard anything yet? I know in previous years, we would have heard something by now, but the government shutdown might delay things.

I've heard on the grapevine that they were exponentially behind on things because of the shutdown. That they're not 6 weeks behind on apps, but potentially closer to 10 or 12. But that was very anecdotal, and also surely dependent upon the subdiscipline you applied to. I applied to Cultural, and haven't heard anything specifically about them, but what I did hear was coming from the Bioanth side.

Take it with a grain of salt, and perhaps they're really putting in the work to get back on schedule, but I'm not counting on hearing for another couple of months (unless its an early cut).

I know some folks who have recieved (cultural anth) rejections.

I'm still waiting - I did talk with the program officer who told me it would still be a few weeks until he had more news (in line with what @RepatMan said).Unlike the fellowship apps, grant apps are all individually approved or rejected, so seems like it could be between now and... who knows. ? unfortunately. 

In the fall I got my "needs serious revision" rejection exactly 2 months after I applied. 

Edited by trogdorburninator

That's good to know @trogdorburninator!! Maybe it's good news we haven't heard anything then! My app status hasn't changed from pending, so I'm wondering if their review committees have even started for bio, especially only just finishing with the GRFP. Are you in bio too? 

I know several people have been rejected for cultural anthropology. Have not heard of any acceptances. I am still pending on research.gov with no status updates since 1/15 

As someone still waiting, I’m curious if the rejection was sent only to your PI or to you, too? Did your research.gov status change? 

Also, how common is it to be ranked competitive/high priority and still not be funded? That’s a frustrating outcome!

I have a couple friends who it has happened to, one more than once (!!) so I was very prepared for that as an option. Especially since this round they had like 181 applicants where I think the last time I applied it was more like 100, it makes sense that the "15-20%" is perhaps not a very good estimate of how many folks get funded, and perhaps its more shaped by budgets. 

the program officer referenced some of the feedback in the "good" review I recieved as justification, as well as expanded a bit on their own concerns, and said that the panel reccomended more people for funding than they could fund (this seems to be usual). 

re: notification - fastlane status changed, reviews are available, and my PI was emailed - the student/co-PI's dont get emails.

Made an account just to post to this thread! I applied to the NSF Bio Anth DDRI and I am still pending in Fastlane with no update to my 'date' as of January. I did call Rebecca Ferrell in mid-may and she said we should hear by June, wondering if anyone else is still in this boat?