Boren scholarship AND fellowship recipient?

Bill_Joe

Anyone ever hear/read about someone actually receiving BOTH a Boren scholarship and fellowship award?

I think I have read about individuals receiving multiple Fulbrights but despite it being possible to receive both awards, I've never heard of anyone doing so for Boren.

12 hours ago, Bill_Joe said:

Anyone ever hear/read about someone actually receiving BOTH a Boren scholarship and fellowship award?

I think I have read about individuals receiving multiple Fulbrights but despite it being possible to receive both awards, I've never heard of anyone doing so for Boren.

I've definitely heard of it! But there's been some time in-between. There was someone I knew who got the Boren Scholarship as an undergrad in Taiwan, worked at USAID for a year, pursued a Fulbright ETA in Thailand, then later pursued a Boren Fellowship in Thailand. I'm curious to see if he ends up applying for a Fulbright research grant too, and how he made that shift from Taiwan to Thailand. Anyways, it is quite possible to receive both. 

Thank you for the replies.

@trine - Your contact seems to have worked off the service requirement for the scholarship first before applying for the Fellowship, yes?

@Rivai - Did the people you know follow this same path as above? Or did they go straight to the Fellowship and then combine the service requirements for both?

Hi, tbh I don't know if they had completed their service requirement from the scholarship, but I don't really think it matters. You could just argue in your essay that you want more preparation in the field before tackling the SR seeing as most federal jobs sponsored by Boren require an MA or graduate study. During my convocation year, they actively encouraged us to apply for the fellowship as well.

On another note, I noticed your other threads about IMCEERES, and I got into the program with the scholarship (awaiting EACEA approval). While I can't tell you currently about how it's like quite yet, I'd be glad to share about the application process. 

Edited by Rivai

@Rivai - That is great to know!

Although I must say I was a bit surprised when you mentioned individuals receiving the fellowship for the same language. I had always thought this would be the norm and not the exception since adding another language to mix might be seen as lacking focus.

1. Did you get a feeling they more encourage continuing study in the same language OR learning another totally separate critical language that can be used in a government career?

Also, I thought I remember reading that you also received a CLS in the same year as your Boren (and you received a Fulbright for Russia also).

2. The dates did not overlap for you regarding the June convocation? Or were you referring to the final convocation upon finishing your Boren?

2a. Additionally, were the languages you focused on all the same for these three programs above or did they differ significantly?

^ I ask because with many Intel jobs, knowledge in different languages can always be put to good use but I'm not sure of Boren's focus here.

Lastly, about IMCEERES, yes, I'd love to know more. Shall we head to that thread and discuss the program?

2 hours ago, Bill_Joe said:

@Rivai - That is great to know!

Although I must say I was a bit surprised when you mentioned individuals receiving the fellowship for the same language. I had always thought this would be the norm and not the exception since adding another language to mix might be seen as lacking focus.

1. Did you get a feeling they more encourage continuing study in the same language OR learning another totally separate critical language that can be used in a government career?

Also, I thought I remember reading that you also received a CLS in the same year as your Boren (and you received a Fulbright for Russia also).

2. The dates did not overlap for you regarding the June convocation? Or were you referring to the final convocation upon finishing your Boren?

2a. Additionally, were the languages you focused on all the same for these three programs above or did they differ significantly?

^ I ask because with many Intel jobs, knowledge in different languages can always be put to good use but I'm not sure of Boren's focus here.

Lastly, about IMCEERES, yes, I'd love to know more. Shall we head to that thread and discuss the program?

I pmed you!