Deciding between two fellowships

NChaku

I applied from funding from my university and from AAUW to support the last year of my dissertation. I received a dissertation award from my university (32,000) a couple weeks ago and must accept/decline it today. I also just received the AAUW dissertation fellowship ($20,000). I know the AAUW fellowship is much more prestigious than my internal award but it's a 12,000 dollar difference and it's hard to turn down that much money in grad school. I live in a high cost of living area and my current stipend is around 29,000 so it'd be a massive change in my income and I'd probably have to pick up a class or two to make up the difference (which negates the point of the fellowship in my opinion), but everyone thinks I should take the AAUW fellowship. Trying to get a couple more opinions before I decide.

28 minutes ago, NChaku said:

I applied from funding from my university and from AAUW to support the last year of my dissertation. I received a dissertation award from my university (32,000) a couple weeks ago and must accept/decline it today. I also just received the AAUW dissertation fellowship ($20,000). I know the AAUW fellowship is much more prestigious than my internal award but it's a 12,000 dollar difference and it's hard to turn down that much money in grad school. I live in a high cost of living area and my current stipend is around 29,000 so it'd be a massive change in my income and I'd probably have to pick up a class or two to make up the difference (which negates the point of the fellowship in my opinion), but everyone thinks I should take the AAUW fellowship. Trying to get a couple more opinions before I decide.

Does your university participate in cost sharing? Here is an example of what that can look like:

https://rackham.umich.edu/funding/funding-types/cost-sharing-by-rackham/

4 hours ago, jmillar said:

Does your university participate in cost sharing? Here is an example of what that can look like:

https://rackham.umich.edu/funding/funding-types/cost-sharing-by-rackham/

Thanks! My university hasn't really encountered this sort of problem before, but they're willing to consider something like this!