How much do you pay in fees per semester/quarter?

TheHoff

Hello everyone,

I recently got an offer from CSU with full funding (yay!), after some research I concluded that the stipend they are offering is pretty decent comparing the cost of life in Fort Collins.

The thing that is bugging me a little bit is the amount of fees per semester that is mentioned in my letter of acceptance. They used as an example that a graduate student taking 9 hours of coursework would pay $1078 in fees (emphasizing that their fees are lower than most schools). After splitting the amount of fees by the duration of a semester, I realized that the stipend is not that great anymore.

So I was wondering if you wouldn`t mind sharing the amount of fees at your university so I can get a grasp of how accurate their information is.

Thank you!

This is an important conversation that we should have. Personally, I think that charging graduate students thousands of dollars of fees is ridiculous when our tuition is waived.

Recently, there has been a conversation about fees. There is a giant spreadsheet showing the yearly fees at universities around the US which you can compare to. Keep in mind that this spreadsheet is yearly fees, and you will want to add up the fees for the fall + spring plus the summer to get the total for your university in question.

Spreadsheet of fees:  bit.ly/aau_grad_fees

46 minutes ago, Eillac said:

This is an important conversation that we should have. Personally, I think that charging graduate students thousands of dollars of fees is ridiculous when our tuition is waived.

Recently, there has been a conversation about fees. There is a giant spreadsheet showing the yearly fees at universities around the US which you can compare to. Keep in mind that this spreadsheet is yearly fees, and you will want to add up the fees for the fall + spring plus the summer to get the total for your university in question.

Spreadsheet of fees:  bit.ly/aau_grad_fees

I couldn't agree more! Charging thousands of dollars in fees is just ridiculous, it's pretty much masking a lower stipend since they are getting back part of it.

Thank you for the spreadsheet, looking at it and adding the amount for the entire year  it looks like CSU would rank on the top 10 (maybe even top 5 depending on the summer costs) so they are not as competitive as they claim 

Yeah, my institution is #4 on the list for the most fees, and it's really hard on our students. I think there has been some success working with unions and and big graduate student organizations - we are looking into this.