April 15 resolution?

Hi guys,

Today (April 17), my first choice sent me a funding offer - I was on their waitlist. I really want to take this offer, but I already accepted another offer on April 15. What should I do next?

My current advisor told me that I should not accept my first choice before getting a written release from the other school. Is there anyone who was in the same situation before? What did you do?

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, nervousaf said:

Hi guys,

Today (April 17), my first choice sent me a funding offer - I was on their waitlist. I really want to take this offer, but I already accepted another offer on April 15. What should I do next.

Thanks!

Just write this email to the department you are turning down basically.  Explain what happened and that you'll be taking another offer. You don't even need to mention school names. Tell them you're very sorry.  This isn't the end of the world.  Whatever you do, go to your first choice school and don't let a little technicality like this hold you back. 

54 minutes ago, bayessays said:

Just write this email to the department you are turning down basically.  Explain what happened and that you'll be taking another offer. You don't even need to mention school names. Tell them you're very sorry.  This isn't the end of the world.  Whatever you do, go to your first choice school and don't let a little technicality like this hold you back. 

Thanks!! I will do that tomorrow morning. Just to make sure: do I email the department or the graduate school?

Also, have you seen someone in a similar situation before?

22 hours ago, bayessays said:

I have emailed the school and they said they are fine with me withdrawing my acceptance. Thank you so much for your advice!