159Q/160V/4W Good Enough for Stats Grad School?

datadood

At the end of March I took the GRE and got the above scores. I know I could have done better on the Quantitative and am on the fence about taking it again. Just curious if there are any success stories with a Q score this low for a stats program. 

Other background info:

Mathematics Major w/ Stats Minor - 3.49 GPA

3 Research Projects, 2 conference presentations (JMM & IFORS)

Currently a data analyst for an adtech company working with control/exposure experiments and homing internet connected devices together

I had very good relationships with my professors and they have written me glowing letters in the past

I am currently looking at some schools I am interested in and their avg/required scores; however, a lot of schools do not have them posted. I would hate for my low quant score to hold me back in the application process. Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!!

I'm not Math/Stats but Geophysics here, so Math heavy and Quant is a pretty big in applications.  Your scores are pretty similar to mine and I got into top 10 programs in my field.  I was however not accepted at top 5 programs (e.g. MIT, Columbia, etc). This was due to either funding or my GRE being lower than what they make their cutoff. It's also worth noting that top 5 programs are a distinct class above the 6-10 schools for my field (at least in theory).   

If your goal is top 5 program I've found 80th percentile seems to be the bar for Quant in my field. Above that they don't really care unless you're pulling something like a 98th or something crazy. All of them say they do holistic reviews, which I have no doubt is true, but its probably after the GRE cull.  The GRE is just such a useful standardized metric to cull the applicant pool, when you're say Harvard dealing with 500+ applications for 10 spots. 

My advice would be retaking it, try to get about the 80th to avoid the lower limits imposed by the best schools.  Above that the GRE becomes a moot point and it's down to your experience and research drive/interests.  

Again, I'm Geophysics, so your mileage may vary with this advice.

• 2 weeks later...

@chasebf Thanks for the response! My professors shared a similar minimum at the 80th percentile. And yeah the threshold is my biggest fear. I'd hate to have a great application put together and then it not even be considered because of my Quant score. So I am planning on retaking it. Can't wait to study everyday this month:lol: