Jump to content

Study in Toronto or go abroad?


ketchup23

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone! I'm pursuing a Masters in public policy and I don't know which program to pick. 

I'm from Toronto and completed my undergrad here. I've applied to Ryerson's MPPA program and got in. It seems like an excellent program, but I also have the opportunity to go to the University of Malta Malta for their Master of Diplomatic Studies program. Both programs offer a similar skill set of policy analysis, law, research methods, international relations, etc., except Ryerson's program is obviously geared to Canadian policy, and the program in Malta is mostly European specific. 

I was so excited to be accepted to Ryerson because of how competitive it is, but I don't know if I'm turning down a big life experience here by not going to Malta. A part of me wants to relocate to Europe permanently and this would be a great opportunity to start myself off. 

I might have to stay in Canada though due to family ties, and Ryerson offers a co-op which would get me into the job market. Plus, I've asked them about doing my summer course abroad to get the best of both worlds. I am growing a bit tired of living in the same place though. 

What do you guys think? I'm sooo torn lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are some questions to help you figure it out;

After completing your masters where do you want to work?

Do you want to learn public policy in the Canadian or European context?

Do you have the financial means to move and live in Malta?

If you answer these questions truly it may help you make an informed decision. Good luck ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I've actually decided to stay here and do a summer exchange program at a university in Europe. This way, I get the best of both worlds. 

 I thought a lot about my personal interests and what I want. The co-op experience here was also big pull because of the current job market where I live. 

I am also fortunate enough to travel pretty much every year, so I don't feel short on life experiences. I'm already excited for my summer exchange :)

If I could afford LSE or another big name school, maybe I would've gone there, but this is the best decision with the cards i've been dealt :) 

Good luck making your decision! What are you choosing between? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2019 at 12:40 PM, bloomeighty said:

I've actually decided to stay here and do a summer exchange program at a university in Europe. This way, I get the best of both worlds. 

 I thought a lot about my personal interests and what I want. The co-op experience here was also big pull because of the current job market where I live. 

I am also fortunate enough to travel pretty much every year, so I don't feel short on life experiences. I'm already excited for my summer exchange :)

If I could afford LSE or another big name school, maybe I would've gone there, but this is the best decision with the cards i've been dealt :) 

Good luck making your decision! What are you choosing between? 

Could I ask which summer exchange program you are doing? I am also looking for an opportunity to travel for an exchange/ research while doing my masters.

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2019 at 12:40 PM, bloomeighty said:

I've actually decided to stay here and do a summer exchange program at a university in Europe. This way, I get the best of both worlds. 

 I thought a lot about my personal interests and what I want. The co-op experience here was also big pull because of the current job market where I live. 

I am also fortunate enough to travel pretty much every year, so I don't feel short on life experiences. I'm already excited for my summer exchange :)

If I could afford LSE or another big name school, maybe I would've gone there, but this is the best decision with the cards i've been dealt :) 

Good luck making your decision! What are you choosing between? 

oh thats amazing! I went to Ryerson and if I stay here I am definitely choosing a program with coop or exchange opportunity. I am applying for masters in economics, deciding between uOttawa, Carleton, UofMontreal (not sure which other unis in Canada) vs Europe (Spain, England, Geneva), and GWU in Washington DC!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2019 at 7:01 PM, torontonian2019 said:

Could I ask which summer exchange program you are doing? I am also looking for an opportunity to travel for an exchange/ research while doing my masters.

 

I'm going to apply to summer school's in Europe that offer courses and credits for masters students :) the MPPA program at Ryerson doesn't explicitly offer exchanges, so this seems to be the best route. I also know that these summer schools are a lot of fun. 

i'm interested in applying to the summer school at the university of amsterdam and perhaps sciences po if the credits work out. I've also come across a summer school at the university of tilburg. 

I spoke to the MPPA director about this and she said she is supportive of the idea, but I will have to get the credits approved. Generally speaking, students are free to take (and pay international student fees for) courses at other institutions however, must apply to have that credit recognized towards their degree through the Letter of Permission process. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2019 at 12:43 AM, ainez said:

oh thats amazing! I went to Ryerson and if I stay here I am definitely choosing a program with coop or exchange opportunity. I am applying for masters in economics, deciding between uOttawa, Carleton, UofMontreal (not sure which other unis in Canada) vs Europe (Spain, England, Geneva), and GWU in Washington DC!

wow how exciting! best of luck! I just came back from Spain and I loved it :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.