Switching from a PhD in History to an MLIS or Information Science PhD Program (within the same school)

I was over the moon last year when I was accepted into a top History PhD program. I have always been passionate about history, and my dream job is to be a History professor.

But after becoming acquainted with just how dismal tenure-track job prospects are, I'm having doubts. I'm just finishing up my first year. I enjoy my cohort, the faculty, and the staff. But I'm having serious doubts whether I should spend the next 4-6 years of my life on a degree that most likely won't get me the job I want.

And so I'm considering transferring to the iSchool here, since the librarian and archivist markets aren't nearly as competitive. Does anyone have advice on switching programs within a school?

Thanks

11 hours ago, mantis_acolyte said:

I was over the moon last year when I was accepted into a top History PhD program. I have always been passionate about history, and my dream job is to be a History professor.

But after becoming acquainted with just how dismal tenure-track job prospects are, I'm having doubts. I'm just finishing up my first year. I enjoy my cohort, the faculty, and the staff. But I'm having serious doubts whether I should spend the next 4-6 years of my life on a degree that most likely won't get me the job I want.

And so I'm considering transferring to the iSchool here, since the librarian and archivist markets aren't nearly as competitive. Does anyone have advice on switching programs within a school?

Thanks

I recommend that you look into doing your outside field in LIS before making a formal switch. I suggest that you look into the backgrounds of incumbents at jobs you would want. Also, I would take a very long hard look at how vulnerable LIS may be to disruptive technologies/firms. (Are you going to be competing for jobs  against ASIs designed by Alphabet?)