Should I Apply or Take a Gap Year

SOChelp

I am a entering senior in undergrad who is planning on applying to a soc PhD for Fall 2020 but have been considering taking a gap year to strengthen my resume. I have a 3.8/4.0 gpa and 3.9/4.0 major gpa from a state university majoring is Sociology and Criminal Justice with a minor in Social Change, I have yet to take the GRE but based on practice tests estimate getting in the 70th percentile in Quant and a 85th percentile in Verbal. I have had 1.5 years of research experience as a research assistant under a professor who is helping me write a manuscript that I plan on using for my writing sample but will more than likely not be published by the time I apply.  I also work as a undergraduate fellow for the University consortium for social justice research on another project for a year and a half. I plan on applying to top 30 programs with my research interests focusing on crime and family. I completed a virtual internship with the US dept and am now doing a summer internship in a state justice related cabinet. I have 4 strong letters of recommendations from professors I worked closely with. Should I wait and aim for a stronger GRE score and possibly a publication or would I be able to get into a Top 30 program with what I have right now? Any advice is welcome :)

It sounds like you're a great candidate, but the point of this reply is just to say that I took a gap year and am so happy I did. I wanted some time to rest, reflect, and travel and it seems like it's serving me well.