I am very concerned and I need to know If these CPS Social Workers handled this situation correctly.

joeyjmc

Hello. Someone I know told me their 2 run ins with Child Protective Services. "Jane" told me that her parents were psychologically and emotionally abusing her and someone she knows called CPS on them. She gets home and her parents and the social workers where waiting for her to come in. When she is told what is happening, the social workers are badgering her to "spill it" while her parents, in the same room, where yelling at her. She was refusing to answer the questions she was being asked because HER PARENTS WHERE IN THE SAME ROOM. After she refused to say anything because her parents where in the same room and she was afraid of what they would do, they just left and never followed up. About a month later, CPS was called to the house again, but this time, they took the parents in the dining room and she was in the kitchen, IN AN OPEN FLOOR PLAN HOUSE. There was no privacy or confidentiality because her parents could hear every word she said. Again, "Jane" was afraid to answer the social worker's questions and again, they left, no follow up, or anything. Hearing this really disturbed me. I find it negligent how they handled the case(s). Can anyone tell me if anything the CPS social workers did was against protocol? Did these social workers do anything that could get them in trouble? Please let me know, thank you.
JUST TO ADD: No this is not a "fake" question or a "homework" question. I purposely made everything anonymous. This happened to my best friend but I don't want to call the county office to complain if there was no wrong doing, I am very worried about her, so an answer to my question would be greatly appreciated!

This is all IMHO. I'm assuming you are in high school. You might want to discuss this with an adult you trust, unless you are over 18:

I can't speak for Cleveland, but it's unlike anything I've heard or experienced with CPS (DCF in Florida). I've been a mental health professional for 8 or so years working with children and adults in a variety of roles. I've made many DCF reports and worked directly with investigators on both cases and protocol.

The circumstances you describe are unusual to me. Investigators often go to the school, if they know where the child attends, so they can speak confidentially and without alerting abusive parents. Other times, they will go to the home and speak to a child alone. They sometimes take law enforcement with them, especially if they intend to remove a child from the home. 

What's important is what your friend is currently experiencing emotionally, why they are telling you this, and what your friend is trying to express. The best thing you can do is be there for them, unless you have serious reason to suspect abuse.

Check the law for Ohio: in Florida, every resident who suspects child abuse is a 'mandated reporter'. If you have serious concerns for your friend, you can always make an anonymous report and state that they should speak to your friend at school/work/somewhere other than the home. You can suggest a location. What's better, is that your friend should be able to take control and anonymously report their own abuse and recommend a place to meet confidentially. If there has already been two reports, they won't be able to ignore a third.

You have to establish whether you are worried enough to get involved or stay supportive. A report doesn't always make things better, unfortunately, but your friend isn't powerless. Talk to your friend about what they want, what they imagine will happen. 

If you decide to complain, be aware that what you've been told might not match up to the reality of the investigations, if they occurred. You won't find out the results of your complaint, other than what your friend might tell you.