accepted but still waiting for other decisions- now what?

jenen

19 hours ago, jenen said:

Accepted and have until the 20th to give my answer. But i'm confused on what to do because i will be having a few decisions coming in right around that time. is it okaty to ask for extensions? 

Yes - ask for an extension.  I did that for both my master's and PhD degrees.

Although - they may only be willing to wait a week or so especially if they have given you funding.  At some point, you may have to make a decision with imperfect information.  Not ideal - but it may happen.

Absolutely try to ask for an extension. Luckily one school I applied to didn't have any deadline for decisions, so I was able to wait before accepting any offers.

Edited by londonrain9

On 5/14/2019 at 10:58 AM, ZeChocMoose said:

Yes - ask for an extension.  I did that for both my master's and PhD degrees.

Although - they may only be willing to wait a week or so especially if they have given you funding.  At some point, you may have to make a decision with imperfect information.  Not ideal - but it may happen.

What happens if you accept but change your mind? Is that allowed?

On 5/22/2019 at 11:14 AM, jenen said:

What happens if you accept but change your mind? Is that allowed?

I mean no one can force you to attend their school.  Are they giving you any funding?  Sometimes accepting the funding and then declining it has consequences for the department as they can't transfer the funding to another person. 

My advice is if you are going to accept - you should accept in good faith.  Only accept if you actually think you will attend come the fall.  If you are still really unsure once the deadline approaches - new or original, I would probably decline.  It is a lot of time, energy, and money to put into a program that you are only so-so about.  You can always apply again next year if you don't like any of the offers that you receive.  Honestly, grad school is always going to be there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2019 at 10:19 PM, ZeChocMoose said:

I mean no one can force you to attend their school.  Are they giving you any funding?  Sometimes accepting the funding and then declining it has consequences for the department as they can't transfer the funding to another person. 

My advice is if you are going to accept - you should accept in good faith.  Only accept if you actually think you will attend come the fall.  If you are still really unsure once the deadline approaches - new or original, I would probably decline.  It is a lot of time, energy, and money to put into a program that you are only so-so about.  You can always apply again next year if you don't like any of the offers that you receive.  Honestly, grad school is always going to be there.

thanks. i'm pretty sure this is the program i want to go to but i dont have funding and so the other program is much cheaper so honestly my decision came down to finances.