UK PhD or re-apply?

jamjar

Looking for some help making this decisions. I only applied to 4 schools (3 in US and 1 in UK). I am not originally from the US or the UK but have my MSc from top London school. I have been offered a place at Oxford for PhD but am concerned that I am making a mistake by staying in the UK. Long term, I would rather be in the US and am waaaay more excited about programmes there...

Options include:
1) Take Oxford offer and enjoy!
2) Start at Oxford and try to re-apply while in first year. Is this a really bad habit?
3) Decline Oxford and re-apply to US schools for 2020.

Would love some advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! I'm no expert, just a fellow applicant, but my impression is that Oxford is seen as a great school and offers you similar chances at postdocs and faculty positions as top US programs.

I don't think you need to worry about seeming too UK-centric, if that is your worry.

2) sounds quite bad to me. I think 3) only makes sense if you will do something in the meantime that will make you significantly more competitive, and I can't really assess that factor without more information.

As far as I've been told the structure of UK PhD programs tends to be rather different than those in the US, and US programs have a definite bias towards hiring US PhDs. If your end goal is a TT job in the US, options 2 and 3 might be safer bets. 

Edited by sociopolitic