Need help deciding on a school abroad

djnikki1

I have been accepted into two wonderful programs in Scotland and Amsterdam to start in the Fall. I am stuck on which to choose. I am a black single mom to 9-year-old twins and my end goal is to obtain a Ph.D. My field of choice is Sociology with a focus on Gender and Women's Studies.

The program in Scotland is with the University of St. Andrews for an MA in Social Anthropology and then I would have the opportunity to start the Ph.D. program the following year at their school. I already have a supervisor and she has been very supportive and I can see I would have someone really rooting for me there. The program in Amsterdam is with the University of Amsterdam for an MA in Sociology: Gender, Sexuality, and Society. I first applied to this program for 4 years and I keep deferring and they keep accepting me each year. So it shows me they really want me at this school and this is one of the top school in this field within Sociology. This one would not lead to a Ph.D. and I would need to look for one while attending.

Both programs are for a year and I am just completely torn on where to go, both places offer what I want, and the locations are drastically different. I have never been to either place and I know the housing costs will be so high compared to what I am used. I have been full-time traveling with my kids and mainly living in Airbnbs, so I know I am in for a shock with the housing costs again.

In making my decision, what are some questions do I need to ask and figure out so I can make a truly informed decision and pick a school? I am giving myself a deadline of a week to decide because I have to start the visa process for both me and my kids like asap. Thanks in advance and sorry for the rambling

Do either of them offer funding? How many students go on to PhD programs? What kinds of job opportunities do graduates of the program have? I would especially want to know that one just in case you don't get into a PhD program. Is there access to childcare in that area? How are the schools? Basically, I'd want to know what your children's life would be like for that year. Also, how well will everyone get along in Amsterdam with just knowing English?

St. Andrews and Amsterdam are very different places to live in. The former will be cheaper to live in but it's a tiny town in Scotland so there's that. 

Also they might offer you a place for PhD easily but the tuition fees are often forbiddingly high for international students which makes it pointless without funding.

Dutch and British universities have very different funding systems for PhD students. I believe the Dutch ones are often pre-defined project based whereas in the UK you have more freedom to design your own project. 

Is there a particular reason why you want to study in Europe? If your goal is to obtain a PhD, American programmes offer much more opportunities for funding and you wouldn't have to move to rural Scotland or one of the world's most expensive places to live in. 

On 5/26/2019 at 3:18 PM, PsyDGrad90 said:

Do either of them offer funding? How many students go on to PhD programs? What kinds of job opportunities do graduates of the program have? I would especially want to know that one just in case you don't get into a PhD program. Is there access to childcare in that area? How are the schools? Basically, I'd want to know what your children's life would be like for that year. Also, how well will everyone get along in Amsterdam with just knowing English?

Thank you these are great questions.  

My program in Amsterdam is strictly in English and I can take free Dutch courses through the school.  There is also a huge English speaking Expat group there.  Schools are better for my kids in Scotland, especially because my children have special needs and the schools would be "public schools".  In Amsterdam, it would be another expense because I would have to pay for English private schooling.  I could possibly get financial aid, but that is not a guarantee.  

On 5/26/2019 at 6:25 PM, Pingping2019 said:

St. Andrews and Amsterdam are very different places to live in. The former will be cheaper to live in but it's a tiny town in Scotland so there's that. 

Also they might offer you a place for PhD easily but the tuition fees are often forbiddingly high for international students which makes it pointless without funding.

Dutch and British universities have very different funding systems for PhD students. I believe the Dutch ones are often pre-defined project based whereas in the UK you have more freedom to design your own project. 

Is there a particular reason why you want to study in Europe? If your goal is to obtain a PhD, American programmes offer much more opportunities for funding and you wouldn't have to move to rural Scotland or one of the world's most expensive places to live in. 

Yes both are very different and both have something I would love lol, that's why it is so hard to choose.

I am applying for Fulbright again and for funding for the PhD while I would be attending. I am also going to be applying for schools in the US for a PhD as well.  I would prefer overseas, as financially it's more affordable than living in the states for me as a single mom.  That's why we left the states and are full-time traveling lol.  

I know for the PhD program in Scotland, I would keep my same Master's Supervisor and I would just expand on my project I will start this coming year.  I do not have a PhD School picked for in Amsterdam, and I may not even stay there to do the PhD.  But the Master's program is something that I am highly interested in.  Social Anthropology would allow me more avenues for researching my topic, but the school Amsterdam would help me to become more focused on the area I truly want to study and focus on. 

53 minutes ago, djnikki1 said:

Yes both are very different and both have something I would love lol, that's why it is so hard to choose.

I am applying for Fulbright again and for funding for the PhD while I would be attending. I am also going to be applying for schools in the US for a PhD as well.  I would prefer overseas, as financially it's more affordable than living in the states for me as a single mom.  That's why we left the states and are full-time traveling lol.  

I know for the PhD program in Scotland, I would keep my same Master's Supervisor and I would just expand on my project I will start this coming year.  I do not have a PhD School picked for in Amsterdam, and I may not even stay there to do the PhD.  But the Master's program is something that I am highly interested in.  Social Anthropology would allow me more avenues for researching my topic, but the school Amsterdam would help me to become more focused on the area I truly want to study and focus on. 

I imagine that your children's welfare, then, would be an important factor, where they would enjoy living more, if they can receive education in English, etc.

Your interests and project might well change during your MA so whether you can continue at the same school might not be so important.

I can only comment as someone who spent time in St. Andrews. It is beautiful and many royals have attended there but its cold and in the middle of bum effin' nowhere. Amsterdam will have more opportunities for you and your children.  

Edited by Leznver