Best states to work as an SLP?

Does anyone have any insight on this? I'm starting my masters at a school in the UK this September. I'm American and plan to live and work in the states after graduation. With the MRA (Mutual Recognition Agreement) between ASHA and the UK, my degree will be recognized and I'll be able to work/get licensed in the states, but it does require a bit of paperwork and I want to stay on top of it now so I can begin my CF year as quickly as possible. I'm open to moving anywhere, as I don't really have any ties to a certain place. I'm looking for states/areas that generally have decent salaries or plenty of jobs or "easy" licensure etc. Any and all advice would be super appreciated!

No clue where would be the best state to work, i'm in CA if you have any questions and went to school in Texas...

I just wanted to add that although ASHA gives you your certificate of clearance after you graduate and complete your CF, it is your state license and your state license only that allows you to legally practice in the United States.  I would check with whatever states you are considering and see whether they have some procedures in place for individuals prepared out of the country.

ASHA has zero authority or pull within individual states when it comes to state licensing.  I'm sure it would be easy to figure out but you'd probably want to figure out what states you're looking at first.  Good luck it sounds like it will be a fun graduate school experience!  Could be a super easy process but they'll definitely be some kind of extra step(s).  

On 6/6/2019 at 6:43 PM, CBG321 said:

No clue where would be the best state to work, i'm in CA if you have any questions and went to school in Texas...

I just wanted to add that although ASHA gives you your certificate of clearance after you graduate and complete your CF, it is your state license and your state license only that allows you to legally practice in the United States.  I would check with whatever states you are considering and see whether they have some procedures in place for individuals prepared out of the country.

ASHA has zero authority or pull within individual states when it comes to state licensing.  I'm sure it would be easy to figure out but you'd probably want to figure out what states you're looking at first.  Good luck it sounds like it will be a fun graduate school experience!  Could be a super easy process but they'll definitely be some kind of extra step(s).  

What was the process like of getting your state license in California after completing school in Texas? Did you have to take the CBEST and get a teacher's credential?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 9:45 AM, slplo said:

What was the process like of getting your state license in California after completing school in Texas? Did you have to take the CBEST and get a teacher's credential?

Sorry, just saw this.  Yes I took the Cbest (actually I had already taken it).  There’s a speech pathologist credential you need to direct hire with schools.  Contract companies in schools don’t require it.  I think you can waive the GRE with SAT scores if they are recent enough!!

Here’s a link to the credential info: https://www.ctc.ca.gov/docs/default-source/leaflets/cl879.pdf

They also need a very specific worded letter from your program director so I’d recommend emailing asking what the letter needs to include.  Mine had to be rewritten twice!!