NYC Dept of Ed Scholarship

This may be a long shot, but has anyone had any experience with the nyc doe scholarship? They pay for all your masters schooling & you work for them after grad school in return. I got an interview so wondering if anyone has gone through it. Thanks!

I just graduated with the DOE scholarship from Teachers College, Columbia University as a bilingual applicant. Bilingual applicants are at a higher advantage because of the need that exists, but it is absolutely worth applying even as a monolingual applicant with the prospect of getting a debt free degree. When I went for the interview there was a writing prompt which differs person to person, and being bilingual I had to do mine in spanish. Then for my interview I was interviewed by 2 people, one English and one Spanish speaker taking turns asking questions. Then it was a long waiting time bc I was one of the first interviews since I was selected as a priority applicant I guess because of my high GPA (cum 3.96; major 3.92)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 1:54 PM, hopefulSLP2Be said:

I just graduated with the DOE scholarship from Teachers College, Columbia University as a bilingual applicant. Bilingual applicants are at a higher advantage because of the need that exists, but it is absolutely worth applying even as a monolingual applicant with the prospect of getting a debt free degree. When I went for the interview there was a writing prompt which differs person to person, and being bilingual I had to do mine in spanish. Then for my interview I was interviewed by 2 people, one English and one Spanish speaker taking turns asking questions. Then it was a long waiting time bc I was one of the first interviews since I was selected as a priority applicant I guess because of my high GPA (cum 3.96; major 3.92)

Thank you for responding! I actually had my interview 6/3 & it went just like that. How long did it take you to hear back? & in what form?

On 6/16/2019 at 11:10 PM, erinmeg001 said:

Thank you for responding! I actually had my interview 6/3 & it went just like that. How long did it take you to hear back? & in what form?

I can’t remember exactly when my interview was but going back through 2 years of emails, I was emailed about scheduling April 28th. I found out I was accepted July 20th

On 6/18/2019 at 12:22 AM, hopefulSLP2Be said:

I can’t remember exactly when my interview was but going back through 2 years of emails, I was emailed about scheduling April 28th. I found out I was accepted July 20th

Thank you! Also, how does the actual dispursement of scholarship money happen?

Hi! I am also applying to get the DOE scholarship for the Bilingual program at Teachers College. I have my interview on Monday. I was told that the writing sample was only in English. Is there a Spanish writing sample as well? If so, can you share what your topics were (so I could get an idea) and how much they expected you to write. Also, what types of questions did they ask and were the Spanish ones very challenging? Are you both native Spanish speakers? My Spanish is very strong but I am not native. 

Thanks!!

I so appreciate the help!

On 6/16/2019 at 11:10 PM, erinmeg001 said:

Hi! I am also applying to get the DOE scholarship for the Bilingual program at Teachers College. I have my interview next week. I was told that the writing sample was only in English. Is there a Spanish writing sample as well? If so, can you share what they asked you to write about. Also, what types of questions did they ask - did they interview you in Spanish and English? Are you a native speaker?

Thanks!!

On 6/20/2019 at 11:58 PM, erinmeg001 said:

Thank you! Also, how does the actual dispursement of scholarship money happen?

Every semester they email you an “award letter”. You have to submit a copy of a program plan with the schedule of courses from your respective schools program. Then before every semester you fill out the letter they email you with the course number, title and credits. Your advisor signs it and then you have to take it down to the DOE office in Brooklyn 

On 6/21/2019 at 6:00 PM, Prospective SLP said:

Hi! I am also applying to get the DOE scholarship for the Bilingual program at Teachers College. I have my interview next week. I was told that the writing sample was only in English. Is there a Spanish writing sample as well? If so, can you share what they asked you to write about. Also, what types of questions did they ask - did they interview you in Spanish and English? Are you a native speaker?

Thanks!!

My writing sample was only in Spanish. You’re given a question to respond to at random. I just so happened to get lucky with my question asking why I felt I deserved the scholarship. But from what I understand it can range from something general like that to something more specific about what you would recommend for a given scenario. I don’t believe there was a limit but it was more so timed in that someone would come in and say you have 5 or so minutes left. But I arrived early so I think I started early. I can’t entirely remember the interview questions because the English and Spanish interviewer wen back and forth so I can’t remember what was asked in what language. But I believe they we’re along the lines of: how would you respond to a parent who doesn’t see the beed for speech; language difference vs disorder; asked to recount a memory speech session I either led or observed; why I chose the field. But yes it was English and Spanish with each interviewer taking turns asking a question so English and then Spanish or vice versa. I am a “native” speaker in that I was raised hearing Spanish all my life. Even still, i messed up a few conjugations out of Merced but it’s fine. They’re looking for proficiency not perfection. And in taking the Bilingual Education Assessment which you will need to take, whether you get the scholarship or not, is what qualities you as bilingual and the department head of my program said the standard for passing is much lower than it probably should be 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 10:00 AM, hopefulSLP2Be said:

My writing sample was only in Spanish. You’re given a question to respond to at random. I just so happened to get lucky with my question asking why I felt I deserved the scholarship. But from what I understand it can range from something general like that to something more specific about what you would recommend for a given scenario. I don’t believe there was a limit but it was more so timed in that someone would come in and say you have 5 or so minutes left. But I arrived early so I think I started early. I can’t entirely remember the interview questions because the English and Spanish interviewer wen back and forth so I can’t remember what was asked in what language. But I believe they we’re along the lines of: how would you respond to a parent who doesn’t see the beed for speech; language difference vs disorder; asked to recount a memory speech session I either led or observed; why I chose the field. But yes it was English and Spanish with each interviewer taking turns asking a question so English and then Spanish or vice versa. I am a “native” speaker in that I was raised hearing Spanish all my life. Even still, i messed up a few conjugations out of Merced but it’s fine. They’re looking for proficiency not perfection. And in taking the Bilingual Education Assessment which you will need to take, whether you get the scholarship or not, is what qualities you as bilingual and the department head of my program said the standard for passing is much lower than it probably should be 

wow - I am surprised to hear this. My writing sample was in English and my interview was entirely in English as well. They just told me to take the BEA exam. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2019 at 1:45 PM, Prospective SLP said:

Hey! Have you heard anything yet?

I think you misunderstood. I already got the scholarship and graduated with it from TC in May. I just check back on this forum from time to time. I received an email to schedule my interview sometime around April 28 2017. I found out I got the scholarship on July 20, 2017

On 8/20/2019 at 6:27 PM, hopefulSLP2Be said:

I think you misunderstood. I already got the scholarship and graduated with it from TC in May. I just check back on this forum from time to time. I received an email to schedule my interview sometime around April 28 2017. I found out I got the scholarship on July 20, 2017

yes, you are correct - I am not very familiar with this site - I meant for that to go to the other person who had interviewed for this year. :)