SLPA license : Massachusetts + Out of field applicant

Hello,

I was wondering if any out of field applicants have successfully become SLPAs. I completed my undergrad degree in a different field, but by August I will have finished 4 prerequisites, and 25 observation hours . I was looking to gain experience as an SLPA while I apply to grad school for next year, but it seems that in order to get the license, at least in MASS, that I would have had to do the associates, or get a 2nd bachelors in the field. I am wondering if there's anyway to get the license with just having completed prereqs and hours?

Hey! I’ve been a SLPA in Massachusetts for the past three years! It looks like you can apply to be an SLPA, but you have a degree plus 18 credit hours of coursework in Speech (check this out https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/10/30/260cmr2.pdf ) Is there any way to take another summer class to get more credit hours? Or, could you look into other options? SLPA jobs are pretty hard to come by and many schools will be hiring pretty soon. When you apply for the license it takes them a couple weeks to get back to you, which would push off your start date for work until at least September.  I’d suggest looking into teacher’s assistant/ paraprofessional jobs or ABA therapy jobs. These jobs would be a great experience because you’ll be able to work with language and communication in some capacity. 

I am licensed in Mass and you have to hold a degree in the field in order to receive licensure. There is no other way around it. If you’d like to gain experience as an SLPA, you should try to work in a special ed. classroom as a paraprofessional. You will not be able to practice as an SLPA, but you will gain tons of experience with a variety of different levels of communication and can most likely observe speech therapy sessions. 

11 hours ago, Oxbow said:

Hey! I’ve been a SLPA in Massachusetts for the past three years! It looks like you can apply to be an SLPA, but you have a degree plus 18 credit hours of coursework in Speech (check this out https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/10/30/260cmr2.pdf ) Is there any way to take another summer class to get more credit hours? Or, could you look into other options? SLPA jobs are pretty hard to come by and many schools will be hiring pretty soon. When you apply for the license it takes them a couple weeks to get back to you, which would push off your start date for work until at least September.  I’d suggest looking into teacher’s assistant/ paraprofessional jobs or ABA therapy jobs. These jobs would be a great experience because you’ll be able to work with language and communication in some capacity. 

Thanks so much! I didn't know there was an option for degree + 18 credits ! I am planning on taking two more classes in the fall anyways, so it seems like after that I could apply! 

8 hours ago, JustineSLA said:

I am licensed in Mass and you have to hold a degree in the field in order to receive licensure. There is no other way around it. If you’d like to gain experience as an SLPA, you should try to work in a special ed. classroom as a paraprofessional. You will not be able to practice as an SLPA, but you will gain tons of experience with a variety of different levels of communication and can most likely observe speech therapy sessions. 

yeah I'm considering trying to do ABA on the side.. unfortunately working as a para would mean a significant paycut to my current job, so im not sure I am going to go that route