Need help cutting down my list of schools I plan to apply to...

Hey everyone,

Recently, I have decided that I wanted to pursue a MSW degree!

Now, the biggest thing for me is which programs do I plan to apply to?! So far, I have narrowed it down to 16 schools, but I plan on only applying to ~6. I've done some research on each of the schools, but I would definitely love some feedback/guidance from you all!

Here is the excel sheet that I made of the schools I am currently interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H3N_sVcUUezufaei1t3NNZDoGUGDz2YT07YAE5TzyeE/edit?usp=sharing

*Feel free to download and use this for yourself if you believe this is helpful! I only put schools that do not require the GRE because I do not want to or plan to take it.

I am from CA and really want to go to program that will prepare me to become a solid Licensed Clinical Social Worker, as I am interested in counseling/therapy, hopefully at a University Psychological/Counseling Health Center. Some personal background if it helps: BA in Ethnic Studies, took all Pre-Med courses (except Sociology), and current College Adviser at a High School.

If you are a current student or graduate from any of the schools, what did you like about your school? What did you dislike? Would you suggest your school to someone interested in the Clinical side of things?

For students who were accepted to any of the schools, why did you choose to attend or not attend? Roughly how much aid did you receive?

To everyone, what is your stance on the cost of these programs vs name of the school vs quality of education?

I would definitely appreciate any and all advice!

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

As someone who watched my last girlfriend go to a prestigious but expensive social work program (Smith) only to come out the other end of it making just enough to pay rent and pay down her loans....I'd say go to the place that offers you money. I loved UPenn's social work program because it has a really strong restorative justice focus and at the time I wanted to go into forensic social work - but it really isn't worth it to come out with $150,000 in debt. Your earning potential really won't change much between any of these schools, or even some slightly lower-ranked schools, so my advice is to choose a program that aligns with your interests that could also realistically be paid off with a 45,000/year starting salary. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 9:04 PM, jarnayava said:

As someone who watched my last girlfriend go to a prestigious but expensive social work program (Smith) only to come out the other end of it making just enough to pay rent and pay down her loans....I'd say go to the place that offers you money. I loved UPenn's social work program because it has a really strong restorative justice focus and at the time I wanted to go into forensic social work - but it really isn't worth it to come out with $150,000 in debt. Your earning potential really won't change much between any of these schools, or even some slightly lower-ranked schools, so my advice is to choose a program that aligns with your interests that could also realistically be paid off with a 45,000/year starting salary. 

I couldn't agree more with this. 
I went to Penn State in my undergrad, which was amazing and one of the best schools (maybe im bias?!), but it was not worth the name. Dont get me wrong, I learned a lot and it was rigerous and i believe that accounts for something, But now i have over $50,000 in student loan debt, just from my undergrad. And that was after maximum funding with grants and scholarships. 

I start my MSW in a month with West Virginia University in their online program. I did not see that on your spread sheet. I would highly recommend looking into it. Something I like about their program is that it is well rounded. No, it does not have a clinical focus exactly, but it does explore all avenues at the micro, mezzo, and macro levels so you are bound to get some clinical in there and also broaden your horizons. I also like their cost. I do think money should be a key factor in this field. For as much as I would have loved Portland State University for their MSW with a healthcare concentration (i want to be a medical social worker), i just cannot justify the out of state cost! There are some great programs but im already paying way too much in student loans from my undergrad and hardly scrapping by. 

Are you looking for online schools or face to face?
Personally, I would have preferred face to face but the closest MSW program is 3 hours from me and relocating is not an option.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear you. I'm looking at schools myself and trying to limit them. 
Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL), University of Pennsylvania, University of Washington (Seattle), University of Chicago, Case Western Reserve, and Chapel Hill are all my top choices. I'm also looking at two Masters in Social Work programs overseas: Mälardalen University and Vytautas Magnus University. I'm looking at them because it will be much more cost effective for me to go there but I don't know how hard it will be to apply degrees from said schools back in the US.

I want to work with marginalized youth in either a school social worker context or in a non profit that supports marginalized teens and young adults especially through job and skill training. A program like Washington University in St. Louis where I can get an MSW with a children, youth and families concentration with a school social work track and a specialization in either management or social entrepreneurship would be fantastic for me.

I'm not sure how much weight I should put on the school tuition NOW or wait until later when I have applied for Aid.