Funding for McCourt MPP 2020 with competing offers

kgg814

I applied for the part-time MPP program at Georgetown, and was accepted for 2019 admissions with a $5k / year scholarship. I've decided to defer my application for 2020 admission, and have been accepted for 2020.

I'm hoping to get a larger scholarship for next year, and I've already got some more achievements I can add to my application to make it more competitive. I'm aiming for a financial aid package of around $20k / year (at least for the first two years, the part-time program is 3 years).

My question is, is it worth applying to other schools who are known for generous financial aid packages, to be able to negotiate a better package from Georgetown?  Or should I not bother considering the time, money and effort required?

Here are some of the schools I was thinking of applying to

- WWS

- CMU Heinz

- LBJ

- Sanford

I think I have a decent shot getting into at least one of these schools, Georgetown is my first choice (due to location) but is probably a target school for me.

Edited by kgg814

• 2 weeks later...

Considering Georgetown's hefty tuition, I'd say it will almost definitely be worth the time and effort to have other offers to leverage. Since you likely have most of your materials ready from applying to Georgetown and some programs have no application fee, it seems you have little to lose and a good amount to gain.

• 1 month later...

I'm attending the full time program with $0 aid, so I completely understand why you'd want to defer. I would definitely ask the Admissions/Financial Aid offices if you can add additional items to your application package in order to receive a higher scholarship offer in Fall 2020. They tell you any aid package you receive won't necessarily follow you if you defer since you'd be competing with that year's applicants for funding.