Looking for Advice for Pursuing Oceanography or Marine Biology Degree

Hello, I’m interested in earning a Bachelors and eventually a Masters in either Marine Biology or Oceanography.  I’m Active Duty Military with around 22 months left on my contract.  While I’m still in the Military, I would like to get ahead and knock out some online courses or even an online certificate.  Right now I can only take online courses due to my work schedule, and because I’m stationed about two hours away from the ocean.  

I talked to my education center and I cannot use tuition assistance to cover a Bachelors Degree because I already have a Bachelors in Civil Engineering (I’m looking to branch away from Engineering and towards Oceanography or Marine Biology once I’m out), and they recommended I use tuition assistance for a certificate (up to 21 credits).  They did not recommend using the GI Bill while Active Duty because then I wouldn’t receive the full benefits.  Then once I’m out I would look at becoming a full time student on campus. 

All that to say, can anyone point me in the right direction?  What certificate programs would be ideal for my situation, and are there any colleges I can apply to that offer online Oceanography or Marine Biology courses?  I’m having trouble finding colleges that offer online Oceanography and Marine Biology courses (understandable, since those majors involve a lot of lab work).  Would it be feasible for me to skip the Bachelors and just apply for a Masters in either, since I already have a Civil Engineering degree?  Finally, what else can I do to set myself up for success for either career field?  Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by AirborneSurfer
Grammar errors

• 4 weeks later...

Hello and welcome to the forum! My wife is a veteran who who used TA then GI Bill when she got out, and I hold an MS Environmental Science and am a PhD candidate in Coastal Systems. I would absolutely wait to use your GI bill. I think that TA can pay for a MS. I would encourage you to continue your line of thinking in your last paragraph. You already have a BS in a challenging discipline which might be enough to get you into an MS program. That being said, I would try to find an online MS program that TA will pay for and enroll. You can get some basic oceanography type stuff under your belt (maybe an ecology course). If you don't compete the program before you are done with your contract it will certainly help your application. I don't think TA will pay for non-degree seeking status, so you will probably have to find a program and enroll.

All that being said, what is your endgame? As you approach your strategy for the next 22 months, it would be help me give you suggestions if I knew what you are looking for at the end of the rainbow....

good luck!

Q