PhD Programs in Quantum Mechanics and Probability

Hi,

Are there any PhD programs/research groups in Statistics in the USA/Canada that people working in quantum stochastic calculus, stochastic processes etc. I haven't been able to find such groups in the US, so I'd appreciate any leads.

Berkeley has a bunch of probabilists doing statistical physics. Stanford has a good amount of probabilists but I don't think doing much physics. I don't know enough about the field to know your exact research interest. Also, these are obviously two of the hardest programs to get into.

The two departments that are probability-heavy are Michigan State and UNC - definitely look at the faculties there, especially Michigan State. 

1 hour ago, bayessays said:

Berkeley has a bunch of probabilists doing statistical physics. Stanford has a good amount of probabilists but I don't think doing much physics. I don't know enough about the field to know your exact research interest. Also, these are obviously two of the hardest programs to get into.

The two departments that are probability-heavy are Michigan State and UNC - definitely look at the faculties there, especially Michigan State. 

Hi,

I'll be applying in the next round to applied math/stats (and maybe even CS departments but I have no formal background in CS) for probability theory and quantum computing. So I suppose I asked this question to try and figure if there are schools where I can study statistics, and also touch base with my physics background on inter-disciplinary projects.

I posted a profile evaluation question here a couple of days ago:

Suggestions based on my profile?

Which is it - do you want to mainly study statistics or quantum computing? If you want to study quantum computing, I highly suggest not getting a PhD in statistics, because nobody will know what you're talking about.

Look at MSU, UNC, and Boston U faculty research interests - if these don't sound like people you could work on dissertations with, then you're not going to find a statistics department that will satisfy you.

9 hours ago, bayessays said:

Which is it - do you want to mainly study statistics or quantum computing? If you want to study quantum computing, I highly suggest not getting a PhD in statistics, because nobody will know what you're talking about.

Look at MSU, UNC, and Boston U faculty research interests - if these don't sound like people you could work on dissertations with, then you're not going to find a statistics department that will satisfy you.

Honestly, right now, I'm more interested in seeing which option opens up for me, and I'll take it from there then. You're right, I'll have to choose one path or the other. But my original question was motivated by figuring out can one really work on such inter-disciplinary topics. Having said, if I go the quantum computing route, I'll definitely study probability and statistics to keep industry options open, and if I go for a Stats PhD, I really want to touch based with some inter-disciplinary topics

You're right, I'll have to make a choice, but I'm waiting to see which opportunity opens up for me. Perhaps I'm being too ambitious inter-disciplinary research but that's what gives me a kick, honestly.

I think there is see miscommunication here, maybe caused by the fact that I don't know a ton about physics and you maybe don't know a lot about PhD programs in statistics. I'm not sure exactly what type of response your looking for because you didn't respond to my first posts, and whether those professors research looks interesting to you.  I provided you an answer to your original question by stating the departments with the closest research to what you're looking for. I am trying to help you, so if you would like to continue to explore what you're options are within a statistics department, please engage with discussion started above.

Physics is generally not studied in statistics departments. Physics/mathematical physics PhDs are highly desired as data scientists, though.  If you really would like to study quantum mechanics, and want the option to work in industry after, get the physics PhD.

@bayessays Sorry for not directly responding to your posts before. Yes, I've looked at the research pages at UNC, and Boston University. UNC seems promising and interesting but an ambitious goal at the same time. I have yet to look at Michigan State but it's on my list since someone else also recommended that it's seems like a school I could reasonably target.

I don't think I'll be getting that Physics PhD, I guess. A combination of Applied Math/Stats seems the most reasonable to me, given the mathematical and inter-disciplinary nature of my interests. Given my undergrad background in physics, I'd like to touch base with my physics background, and quantum computing seems reasonable, I guess. So, I'm looking at Applied Math/Stats PhD's for Probability and perhaps Applied Math/CS groups for Quantum Computing.

I know these fields are distinct and all that, but as I said, I still can't shake the idea of doing something really that's truly cross-disciplinary.

Edited by J456

Ok, so I am not super familiar with the physics research done in applied math departments (I don't think it's usually related to quantum anything). If you can find an applied math program with this kind of research that also has statisticians, you could conceivably learn about both fields.

CS could also have some good options, as theoretical problems and ML use a lot of probability.

If you're looking for opportunities to use your physics background in general (rather than just quantum), your options for statistics expand dramatically. Samuel Kou at Harvard does biophysics research, some departments have astrostatisics people, not to mention all the engineering applications.

@bayessays Yes, physics research in applied math is usually related to PDE, fluid dynamics etc. I'm applying to applied math/math programs that have people doing probability and statistics. Arizona, UC Boulder, Southern California come to mind. Some of these schools also have people doing some kind of physics. For quantum computing, I'm trying to be at the right university in the sense that I'll tackle the applied math/CS programs over there, and see if I can get a position. Quantum Computing seems to be a cross-disciplinary field, so my main goal is to be at the right university for it. 

Interesting. Yes, a lot of Stats departments seem to have people doing biophysics, computational neuroscience. Cracking the top 10 is going to be quite hard, though. For example, Chicago's Statistics PhD program and CS PhD program (Computational Mathematics Track) seem to be compatible with my interests as well, but they'll tough to crack for me.

Do you mind looking at my profile (shared above) and make some suggestions then? Based on the US News rankings, I think I should be targeting the top 20-35 range as a reasonable. I'll be applying to some top schools though to take my chances. 

Edited by J456

Yeah, I would apply widely in the 15-40 range.  I don't generally feel super comfortable commenting on international applicant's chances except in extreme cases (top of class at Oxford, or people with clearly bad profiles).  Someone like you with a really great background from a less known school is harder to predict. 

Yes, UC Boulder came to mind as an example of a school with both types of research. 

@bayessays True. Admissions are going to be tough. Hopefully, some option opens up for me. Would you recommend I apply to at least some schools in the top 15 category? I'm thinking of Chicago, Berkeley, UNC Chapel Hill and Columbia. May apply to 2-3 of them. Other than that, I'm considering Iowa State/Colorado State, UC Davis/Purdue, Minnesota, Michigan State, Ohio State/NC State.

Seems reasonable? Or suggestions? If you'd like, I can share a detailed breakdown of my potential list of schools via Google Sheets.

Edited by J456

Thanks. I suppose I'll use this list as a reference point, and add 1-2 top schools and/or 1-2 lower ranked schools based on the Math GRE Subject Test score I get which may add value to my application.

• 4 weeks later...

@bayessays Would you mind commenting on the tentative list of schools I have made:

Berkeley

Columbia
UNC Chapel Hill
Iowa State
NC State
Minnesota
Penn State
Ohio State
Boston University (Probability track in Math)

Michigan State
UConn etc. (a safety?)

Does it look reasonable. I think it's too croweded near the 15-25 range, and maybe I need to add some schools in the lower end of the 30-40 range. Suggestions?