MSW Personal Statements Help

Hello,

I'm getting started for the Fall of 2020 applications with personal statements. I'm targeting Cal State universities and having a hard time figuring out how to write/structure my personal statement. With most if not all universities asking the applicants to answer multiple questions, some give the option to answer each question separately and others are ambiguous about it. I'm basing this on 2019 applications, as 2020 apps are not out yet. I'm aware that the questions may change, but still getting a head start so I can have the majority of the content ready to be edited and interwoven. 

For example, CSULB had 9 questions for regular applicants, to be answered in either an essay or numbered responses. CSULA had 5, and to be answered in order with headings (does that mean just to number my responses?). 

Questions:

- Does it matter if I write in one essay or number my responses? One essay would be a testament to my writing ability while numbering my responses would greatly help with clarity.

- Follow up question: can I choose to answer a few questions in one essay and number the responses for the rest? (e.g. combining questions 1,2,3,5,7 in one essay and writing out separate responses for the others).

I would really appreciate any input on this, as I feel very confused right now. Thank you!!

Edited by FallMSW2020
Title edited for clarify

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on what the school wants. Be sure to follow their directions first and foremost and answer everything that they ask.

I can't say for sure, but when I applied i set my paper up more like one essay and then used titles in bold along the way and transition words. So there were three questions asked. My statement ended up being technically one essay with eight pages worth to sufficiently answer their questions. My school left the formatting ambiguous. I think they want to see if you can write, follow directions, and use reasoning and logic to answer. Unfortunately, I do not think this is a one size fits all answer

Edited by Neep

On 7/19/2019 at 11:10 AM, Neep said:

I think it depends on what the school wants. Be sure to follow their directions first and foremost and answer everything that they ask.

I can't say for sure, but when I applied i set my paper up more like one essay and then used titles in bold along the way and transition words. So there were three questions asked. My statement ended up being technically one essay with eight pages worth to sufficiently answer their questions. My school left the formatting ambiguous. I think they want to see if you can write, follow directions, and use reasoning and logic to answer. Unfortunately, I do not think this is a one size fits all answer

That's really helpful to know, thank you Neep! So your essay had proper intro, thesis, and conclusion paragraph?

CSULB  gives you an option for one essay or numbered responses for its 9 questions- I don't suppose there would be any harm in using the numbered responses because there's no way  I can answer  9 questions in one essay format?