Sociolinguistic/Phonetic Grad Schools?

leahmd325

Hey y'all,

I'm a senior undergrad looking into a linguistics MA (and eventually PhD). I have a ton of interests in linguistics but I would say my main focuses are sociolinguistics (especially in minority communities), phonetics, and psycholinguistics.

I've done a lot of research on grad schools that specialize in this but would love to get recommendations from those who have already been through the application process. I'm still not quite sure if my stats are ivy-league level but I would like to apply to 1 or 2.

Some background on myself: I've been doing undergrad research at my university since sophomore year, primarily on sociolinguistics and with a fairly well known dialectologist. Within this field I've done work on American's accommodation towards British English while living in the UK, field work on refugee English acquisition and the social implications of learning English, and am going to be doing my senior thesis on the phonetics of vowels in the South.

I have a 3.8 GPA, am getting a certificate in digital humanities (essentialy data processing for humanities data), have studied abroad and done research at Oxford, and am working in a sociology lab next semester. I haven't taken the GRE so unfortunately I don't have any scores yet. Unrelated to my major I have a lot of extracirricular experience working with refugees (I was president of a refugee outreach club last year, began a high school outreach group to help some locals become college-ready, and am currently working at a refugee nonprofit). I'm hoping to somehow incorporate my passion for this topic into my applications since it's been such a major part of my life in college.

My top schools rn are Stanford (reach), U of Hawaii, NYU, Oxford, UC Davis, Santa Cruz, and Arizona. If anyone knows of good programs elsewhere please reply, I'd love to hear about it!

Best, Leah.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/24/2019 at 1:11 PM, fiore said:

check out NC State's Masters-- fully funded (unlike many others) and great opportunities to work with big names in Socio like Walt Wolfram. (don't be dissuaded that it says MA in English, it's actually Linguistics) https://linguistics.chass.ncsu.edu/degrees/grad.php#maenglish

Yes! Came here to say the same thing. I graduated from the sister program in Spanish (sociolinguistics track) and I'll add that the programs in linguistics at NC State often allow their students to take courses in other departments for credit. The courses in the program in English/Linguistics are intensive, taught by very accomplished researchers, cover a wide array of topics, and there are a lot of outreach opportunities that you can get involved with. Being fully funded is also a plus! All of their graduates who have moved on to PhD work have been accepted to competitive programs (Georgetown, UC Berkeley) as well.