Disabled Psychology PhD Students- Former or Current

Le Chat

I am looking at becoming a Licensed Psychologist and completing an APA accredited program. My end goal is to work in the medical field and work/research disability topics (emphasis on diagnosis and assessment of ASD.) When I begin a PhD program I will have completed a Master's in Clinical Psychology and be licensed as a therapist.

I am interested in hearing from any other individuals with disabilities that are applying to, currently attending, or formerly attended an APA accredited Psychology program. I feel like there are many considerations and decisions I have to make, and as my disabilities are mainly medically related aspects such as health insurance and schedule are something I have to think about. I have been told that programs cannot discriminate based on disability, but I definitely worry about keeping up with the sequence of courses/practicum etc... and balancing everything.

If anyone has suggestions (even if you are attending a program and do not live with disability) they are greatly appreciated! Isn't adulting fun?! :)