Volunteer Ideas

alinamum

I just moved to a new area and am browsing some volunteer opportunities for a masters in psychology. Any recs on which types of volunteering you found most beneficial for your program? 

Thanks in advance!

What do you mean by volunteering? Research experience will be beneficial. Are you applying in the US or Canada or a different country? Also, what kind of program? A research based psych masters or a masters in clinical mental health counseling that leads to licensure?

Thanks for the response! I'm looking for something to boost my applications. I'm currently not working as I have an infant at home but would like something to help give me experience and/or LORs (aside from my previous professors). I'm toying with different masters ideas.... I'm interested a lot in child psychology, neuropsych, and counseling. I'd like to explore different opportunities before solidifying which route I want to take! I appreciate your help.  

• 3 weeks later...

Both research and clinical volunteering is important :) You might consider looking into things like crisis lines, or asking to volunteer as a research assistant for labs that interest you. 

*I am also in Canada, but I'd assume the expectations for what counts as relevant experience are similar. 

Edited by springxsummer

During my Masters program I was on a non-clinical research thesis track but wanted a little clinical-ish experience. So I looked to see where my fellow students who were on a clinical-track were going for their practicums and ended up volunteering at one of the sites that our students frequented and it was a great experience (time wise for me and professionally).

Edited by personallycentered