Is taking an intenational student loan a horrible idea

Trying to consider all my options for school. Right now, it seems like my program does not offer assistantships to newly enrolled students and as we all know, school is expensive. I have been considering taking out a loan and I am wondering how much of a bad idea this is.

If you are talking about taking out a loan for US schools, I am not sure banks give out those. Technically, if you are an international student, you cannot take out those long loans because the F1 or J1 visas do not allow you to stay. In theory, you'd have to go back to your country. 

If you are talking about taking out a student loan from the US government available to international students, I certainly haven't heard of those so I can't help you. However, the visa questions still stands. I'd ask myself, if I don't get a job in the US and I have to go back to my country, would I be able to pay out the loan?

IMHO, I wouldn't take out a loan for school. Even in the great event that it pays your tuition, you won't be able to use to pay your bills. 

• 6 months later...
On 7/15/2019 at 3:20 AM, zzzzhjx456 said:

Trying to consider all my options for school. Right now, it seems like my program does not offer assistantships to newly enrolled students and as we all know, school is expensive. I have been considering taking out a loan and I am wondering how much of a bad idea this is.

I highly recommend reading "the professor is in".

I don't recommend it. Have you considered Canada? Grad school tuition tends to be much cheaper, even for international students.