Should I delay my application to 2021 (Profile Evaluation)?

Hello everyone,

I transferred from one mediocre college in China to Cornell last year and switched my major from Biology into Statistics. I am now a rising senior and not sure about if my profile is strong enough to apply for PhD/MA programs in Biostatistics and /or Statistics in 2020 fall. I didn't know before math capacity is one of the most important factors to be considered in application so the math courses I took was very limited. My advisor gave me some positive feedback and encouraged me to apply for some statistics PhD programs but I am still worried about my background.

Undergraduate Institution: China Agricultural University (transferred) ----> Cornell

Majors: Biological Sciences (previously) ----> Biometry and Statistics (Now)

GPA: 3.84/4.00 (China) -->  3.92/4.30 (Cornell, it is also my major GPA)

Type of Student: International (Asian female)

Courses taken:

In China: (doing good in Bio/Chem but not prominent in my math grades)

• Stat: Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics(A-),  Linear Algebra (A-)
  • Math: Advanced Math A-I (A-, equivalent to Calculus I and II), Advanced Math A-II (B+, equivalent to Multi-variable Calculus and Differential Equation)
  • CS: Intro to Information and Computational Thinking (Using Python, A-)

At Cornell:

• Stat: Probability Model and Inference (A+), Biological Statistics (A), Linear Model with Matrices (A+,  graduate level), Theory of Statistics (A+), Categorical Data Analysis (B+),  Statistical Computing (A+)
  • Math: Intro to Real Analysis (A), Numerical Analysis: Solving Linear and Non-linear System (B)
  • CS: Object-Oriented Programming and Data Structure (Using Java, A-)

Courses will take this fall

• Math: Measure theory (graduate level), Combinatorics, Linear Algebra (upper division, proof-based)
  • CS:  Machine Learning for Intelligent System,  Data Structure and Functional Programming

GRE General Test: Q: 169 ; V: 159  (taken 5 days ago, W scores not released yet)                     

GRE Subject Math: will take this September 

Research Experience

Noise Reduction for Experimental Time-domain Signals (September 2018-Present,  National Biomedical Center for Advanced ESR Technology at Cornell);

Machine learning in Brain-Computer Interface and Cybersecurity (January-March 2019, A 7-week research authorized by a professor at Berkeley)

Quantile Regression Analysis for High Dimensional Data: Right-to-Carry Laws and Violent Crime (this summer, supervised by a well-known professor at Department of Statistics at Cornell)

Working Experience:

Data Analyst Intern at China Asset Management co. LTD (June 2018)

Awards: First-class for Academic Excellence (in China), First Prize for Data Castle (a nationwide machine learning competition in China), One year of Dean's List (Cornell)

Letters of Recommendation: Two from the professors who supervised my research, one from my academic advisor (also get 2 A+ in his classes)

School List

Berkeley Biostats MA (the one with funding) is my dream program. I heard it is more relevant to data science rather than traditional biostatistics but is as competitive as PhD program.

Some PhD programs I am considering would be: UCLA biostats, UC-Davis stats, UCSD biostats (I like California), Emory Biostats, Cornell Stats

My advisor also encourges me to apply for some good PhD biostats program at JHU, UNC, NCSU, Duke, Texas A&M,  UW and Umich (I think it is very tough based on my current profile).

I haven't decided yet if I should apply for those programs in 20 Fall or 21 Fall.  I know if I apply in 2021, I can take more math courses, even at PhD levels, and do more non-trivial research.  But I am nor sure if it is worthwhile to wait for one more year. I cannot make up my mind.

Thank you in advance for your time and advice!

Edited by FallCreekRing

2 hours ago, bayessays said:

You have a 3.9 from an Ivy, have a lot of research experience there, have aced real analysis, and are taking measure theory.  The answer is a resounding no. I am not sure where you got this idea that you are unqualified.

@bayessays Thank you for your response! My main concern is that my math background is weaker than other applicants (in gradcafe I saw many profiles with sufficient math courses taken). One of my seniors suggests I should take more PhD level courses (like stochastic process, functional analysis) and wait one more year to apply.  What I am also worried is that currently I do not have any publications and my research topics were not very relevant to biostats. I have no ideas which program is a reach or a match option. Do you think my school list (plus those added by my advisor) is reasonable? Should I take off some top biostats schools (JHU, and UW)? Is it a good idea if I add more stats options (not only biostats) like UIUC, Purdue and Ohio State? 

Edited by FallCreekRing

You have plenty of math - for international applicants at a place like Stanford, those classes MIGHT be common, but they are not common at all at the departments you are looking at.

I do think that Duke and NCSU stats, as well as JHU and UW biostat are reaches, but honestly I don't know enough about international student evaluation to tell you if you have a chance or not - if you were a domestic applicant, I'd say you have a good shot at these school, so I'd probably go ahead and apply to not have regrets.

I would say you should apply to the programs that interest you most.  I don't think you need to apply to stat programs unless they interest you more.

39 minutes ago, bayessays said:

You have plenty of math - for international applicants at a place like Stanford, those classes MIGHT be common, but they are not common at all at the departments you are looking at.

I do think that Duke and NCSU stats, as well as JHU and UW biostat are reaches, but honestly I don't know enough about international student evaluation to tell you if you have a chance or not - if you were a domestic applicant, I'd say you have a good shot at these school, so I'd probably go ahead and apply to not have regrets.

I would say you should apply to the programs that interest you most.  I don't think you need to apply to stat programs unless they interest you more.

@bayessays This is really helpful. Thank you so much!