Masters Thesis or Directed Research

jamesjam

Hey guys!

I am about to attend a masters program in psychology to gain some more research experience. I plan on applying to PhD programs in Clinical psychology afterwards. I have been given the option to do a Thesis or to do Directed research. Articles online say a Thesis tends to be a  good idea. However, I feel I could do directed research for two labs of interest instead of a thesis on one interest. Any thoughts on importance of having a thesis in your application/ what exactly directed research is? I have only been able to find that it is similar to thesis but no defense. Trying to take the best steps forward!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, jamesjam said:

Hey guys!

I am about to attend a masters program in psychology to gain some more research experience. I plan on applying to PhD programs in Clinical psychology afterwards. I have been given the option to do a Thesis or to do Directed research. Articles online say a Thesis tends to be a  good idea. However, I feel I could do directed research for two labs of interest instead of a thesis on one interest. Any thoughts on importance of having a thesis in your application/ what exactly directed research is? I have only been able to find that it is similar to thesis but no defense. Trying to take the best steps forward!

Thanks!

Whatever option actually can lead to a peer-reviewed publication at the end in a journal is better. That's probably a thesis, but maybe not if the two-lab situation will let you be an author on publications. A thesis is nice to have, in general, but honestly it is SO SO SO much better when it's actually been published in an academic journal.