Chairing Panels?

This might sound really stupid, but what qualifications do you need to chair a panel at a conference? I’m going to be at MAPACA this November and I keep getting emails about them needing chairs for panels, and I would love to help, but I’m not sure I’m qualified since I’m only a grad student. Thoughts? What’s the protocol here?

None, I have chaired several and it’s quite straightforward. During the panel you’re just introducing people, controlling the time, and letting others ask questions. If no one does you should ask questions, or if one panelist isn’t getting any you ask them. Before the panel you just need to stay in touch with the panelists, making sure they know where to go and such. If you also need to manage the CFP that’s a bit more laborious but not that hard either. The only two requisites to chairing a panel is knowing how a panel works (easily fixed by going to the first panels, assuming yours isn’t the first) and having a good grasp of the field or topic at hand.